Any Idea What Mold Or Cutter Was Used?

Decorating By misterc Updated 13 Feb 2011 , 6:23pm by retaunton

misterc Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 6:02pm
post #1 of 10

Any idea what mold or cutter was used. I am having a hard time finding anything that resembles it at all. It doesn't' need to be exact so if you have any ideas I would love to hear them!
http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/photogallery/fabric-cakes#slide_13

9 replies
All4Show Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 8:08pm
post #2 of 10

I'm going to guess that it is a lace press of some type and they have just used half of the design. That's if you are talking about the leaf design. I think I saw someone suggest using those covers they have on flouescent light panels for the gird design, or you might google grid design fondant rolling pins and see what pops up. Jennifer Dontz has some beautiful lace presses.

cabecakes Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 8:28pm
post #3 of 10

It says that Ron-Ben Isreal created silicone molds from appliques and then sugar paste was pressed into the molds. There are 25 shapes made and then layered on top of each other.

cabecakes Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 8:57pm
post #4 of 10

Sorry, I think I was looking at the wrong cake. I think you are talking about slide #13 the Ironstone Wedding Cake. If so, I really am not to sure. It looks like it could be just piped with some gumpaste leaves attached at the corners and some type of gumpaste "feet" that make it look as though it is lifted from the cake below. I would also imagine the teapot topper is made from gumpaste.

CakesByLJ Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 9:24pm
post #5 of 10

It states in the description:

The leaves (fondant formed in a silicone mold) contrast with the textured bands (made by pressing fondant onto a grid) wrapping the tiers.

Any generic leaf mold would give the same effect, and I might try a plastic canvas for the grid impression (similar to needlepoint type canvas)

Good luck with it~!

misterc Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 10:01pm
post #6 of 10

Thanks for the replies. I have already found something for the grid pattern but thanks. I was hoping someone had maybe seen a silicone mold that looked similar. So far I can't find one. I'm guessing he made it himself(he usually does) but it seems like I should be able to find one some where that is similar! Oh well.

Dayti Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 11:20pm
post #7 of 10

Have a look at Elegant Lace Mold's website, they may have something similar. They make superb molds.

Jeff_Arnett Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 5:20am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterc

Any idea what mold or cutter was used. I am having a hard time finding anything that resembles it at all. It doesn't' need to be exact so if you have any ideas I would love to hear them!

Is it the Matelasse Wedding Cake?

As far as the side pattern is....the cake is covered first in fondant then a strip of fondant has been cut and textured and wrapped around the sides...though I am not sure what he used, a good approximation can be achieved by pressing a flourescent light fixture cover into the fondant.

The leaf motif should be avaialble, or something very similar, from any silicone mold supplier.

misterc Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 3:42pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Arnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterc

Is it the Matelasse Wedding Cake?

As far as the side pattern is....the cake is covered first in fondant then a strip of fondant has been cut and textured and wrapped around the sides...though I am not sure what he used, a good approximation can be achieved by pressing a flourescent light fixture cover into the fondant.

The leaf motif should be avaialble, or something very similar, from any silicone mold supplier.

I had already decided to use the fluorescent light sheet. It is the leaf silicone mold. I thought it would be easy to find something similar but I have gone to every supplier I know of and haven't found anything close to the same thing.
Thanks everyone for all the tips though!

retaunton Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 6:23pm
post #10 of 10

First Impression has some scroll molds that would allow you to achieve a similar look.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%