Cake Competitions, Would I Be Considered A Beginner

Decorating By dreamacres Updated 14 Feb 2011 , 2:19am by dreamacres

dreamacres Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamacres Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 5:48pm
post #1 of 8

about 20 years ago I did a few cakes for family and friends which they paid me for. (they were awful, but I didn't think so at the time) I have never had any classes and never sold a cake since. I am currently trying to sell a few cakes to help with home expenses since husband is laid off. In Indiana I can sell cakes from home kitchen at my roadside stand (my porch) so I have been trying to ask for orders via facebook and friends, and trying to do a website. Still have not sold a cake. Would I be able to enter a cake competition as a beginner??? What if I sell a few cakes between now and the competition????

7 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 5:57pm
post #2 of 8

The rules should be able to help guide you in which category to enter. Some will state if your full-time profession/sole source of income is in the cake decorating industry, you cannot be classified as "beginner".

vkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vkat Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 5:58pm
post #3 of 8

After looking at your photo gallery, I don't know that I would concider you a begginer. You do very nice workicon_smile.gif

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 6:01pm
post #4 of 8

As far as I am aware, competitions go by the level of training you have had and also if you have entered and won in any previous competitions. This info will be available from the organisers.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 10:09pm
post #5 of 8

Nearly every competition has different criteria for each category of entrants.

In one, you may be a beginner and in another, perhaps intermediate. Read the requirements carefully and choose where you fit best. If the guidelines are confusing--and some really are-- call or e-mail the contact person and have them help you make the decision.

Have fun!
Rae

dreamacres Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 1:28pm
post #6 of 8

thanks vkat! I really am just running blind and having a ball doing it. Can't wait to go to a competition someday to see what the professionals do instead of just looking at pictures. Was thinking I could do a cake when I go but am really scared to try it. Maybe someday. Someone told me the county fair has a open class can't seem to find information. Has anyone entered a cake in county fair??

vkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vkat Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 10:25pm
post #7 of 8

I entered in my county fair. I think I paid a $2.00 entry fee. They had different categories. I won 2nd place for my farm animal cupcake boquet! I am going to enter again this summer. It was alot of funicon_smile.gif

dreamacres Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 2:19am
post #8 of 8

thanks vkat it does sound fun

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%