1St Wedding Cake Jitters!

Decorating By Angelfire3 Updated 21 Feb 2011 , 11:39pm by Angelfire3

Angelfire3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angelfire3 Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 4:16pm
post #1 of 15

Greetings all,
One of my good friends begged me to make her wedding cake. She's getting married at the end of the month. I've never done one before. I'm afraid to do it. I'm not sure if I even want to do it b/c of my fear & lack of confidence. I'm not even sure how to do it. I've expressed all of my concerns to her. But she still wants me to do it. She said, "You can do it. I trust you." etc.

Is this how you felt the 1st time you've done a wedding cake? Did your 1st wedding cake come out good? What helped you jump in and say, "I know I can do this?"

14 replies
CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 4:41pm
post #2 of 15

I haven't yet done a wedding cake, but here's my take on it: If she is familiar with your work and she trusts you with her wedding cake, then she obviously loves what you do! Borrow a bit of her confidence in your ability and go for it! You'll do great! thumbs_up.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 5:06pm
post #3 of 15

Use SPS for your support system and read, read, read. Also remember to take the proper paperwork with you to the venue.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 5:07pm
post #4 of 15

Oh, and my first wedding cake was an assignment in culinary school, so I pretty much had to design it, do it and get it judged on schedule.

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 5:25pm
post #5 of 15

My best advice is to make a practice cake ahead of time. That way, when it comes time to do the real thing, you have done the cake before. Also, plan your baking and decorating schedule ahead of time. Allow time to fix things and to problem solve, if needed. Good luck and have fun!

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 5:32pm
post #6 of 15

Leah -- can you explain what you mean by taking proper paperwork to the venue? (I'm doing my first wedding cake in the spring for a friend also...)

Angelfire3 Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 5:43pm
post #7 of 15

Greetings All,
Thank you so much for your advice and replies. I ordered an SPS system a few months ago. I guess now is the time to use it. I just have to find a tutorial on how to. I remember looking at it a few months ago, but I didn't bookmark it.

CookieD-oh, yes, she saw all of the cakes I've made & is familiar with my work. I need some of her confidence b/c I surely lack it, especially after my recent cake disaster (daughter's 8th birthday cake). After that incident, all of my confidence went out of the window.

I think I will do a practice run. I just have to figure out who's going to eat all that cake? I already have a bunch of cupcakes to eat b/c another friend of mines (we all been friends since HS, since 199icon_cool.gif asked me to make her mother a bridal shower cake--strawberry w/banana filling. So, I went ahead and made some. They were really good, but I'm tired of eating all of these goodies. I'm eating them and they are landing on my stomach, hips, & thighs.

Leah, what paperwork? I was just doing it as a favor for her. I just want her to buy the supplies. Her venue is in NC. She wants me to meet her halfway. WHOA!! Come to think of it, I should draw up some paperwork and make her pay me for a little more than supplies.

julesh268 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julesh268 Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 12:32am
post #8 of 15

I did my first wedding cake this past fall as a gift to my cousin. I made a practice version the month before and brought it to work. This way I drove with it in the car and knew I had put it together well. I figured out my mistakes and was far more confident when I went to make her cake.

Oh, donate it to your local fire department or police department.

cdgleason Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdgleason Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 12:46am
post #9 of 15

I asked questions to every cake friend that I had!! Never done a 4 tier cake before and I was a nervous wreck!!

I'm sure you know your own limits with your skill level, you've probably become really comfortable with certain techniques....
SO... as long as you make sure your structure is sound, the entire process will be a great confidence booster!!
Make sure you have level cakes, buy a simple level at any hardware store that designated ONLY for your cakes, then, your support system needs to be reliable!! Everyone uses different types of supports, so once you've decided on the right one for you, the cake should be wonderful!!

Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 1:11am
post #10 of 15

Angelfire, you have already made a wedding cake! the bird cage cake and the thanksgiving cake in your photos are, in fact, what some would consider a wedding cake. Looks like you've already got some experience under your belt as far as structural support for tiered cakes thumbs_up.gif
Just look at each tier as it's own individual cake so you don't get overwhelmed thinking about the mountain of cake to decorate. icon_biggrin.gif

Angelfire3 Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 10:10pm
post #11 of 15

Hello All,
Sorry I've been MIA! I've been so busy. Thank you all for your suggestions, comments & advice. I really appreciate it. I don't think I'll be making her wedding cake after all. She didn't like the fact that I asked for a payment of some sort.

MadameRaz, you're right. I never looked at it that way before. Thank you. But, looking at those cakes, I NEED a lot more practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadameRaz

Angelfire, you have already made a wedding cake! the bird cage cake and the thanksgiving cake in your photos are, in fact, what some would consider a wedding cake. Looks like you've already got some experience under your belt as far as structural support for tiered cakes thumbs_up.gif
Just look at each tier as it's own individual cake so you don't get overwhelmed thinking about the mountain of cake to decorate. icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 1:09am
post #12 of 15

I'm thinking that what Leah meant by paperwork was any licensing and insurance documentation that the venue might require. If you do this as a hobby, have your friend find out if her venue permits cake from hobbyists. Many venues will only permit cakes be brought in from a licensed and insured baker.

Leah, not presuming to speak for you, so if I got it wrong, slap me down! icon_biggrin.gif

dellababe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dellababe Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 1:40am
post #13 of 15

I did my first wedding cake back in Oct. 2010. I was really nervous because it was going to be my first 4 tier cake. I watched video's on youtube on how to stack that many layers. The bride wanted stencil design(which I had never done) I watched videos on that also!! I didn't want to be too stressed the day I was making it so I made the cakes 4 or 5 days ahead and froze them. I had the icing all made a few days ahead and in the refrigerator in air tight containers. Had all my fondant made and stored in air tight containers. I did practice the stencil on a dummy cake to make sure I could do it. I think the cake turned out really well, and the bride loved it!!!
Here's a link to see the cake if your interested: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1843226

jenniemar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenniemar Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 11:27pm
post #14 of 15

wow- she didn't like that you asked to be paid a bit for your work? Good luck with her getting a good cake somewhere else for nothing! And she's a friend you say?

I gave my principal (my friend and Boss) a Very good price on her daughters wedding cake and she said "no, your work is worth way more than that" and gave me more than I asked for.

I just started making wedding cakes (I got an order for one and it has just snowballed). I ask about 100 less than the going rate around here. I know my cakes will stand and they look and taste good. They have to pay for that. Once I get better- I will ask for more. If they don't like it- they can go somewhere else.

I can't stand people that expect something for nothing. Just my beef for the day.

tapedshut.gif

Angelfire3 Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 11:39pm
post #15 of 15

Thank you all for replying. No, she and a two of my other friends didn't want their cakes after all. I had a request for a baby shower cake too. But, they never returned my call. The bride just told me that her aunt ordered a cake from the grocery store. I'm mad b/c I helped design her beach theme cake and sent her my ideas. I'm sorry but $175 starting really isn't expensive for a 4 tiered cake. I had placed an order for the SPS system too.

It was too late to cancel, so, I will be using it one of these days. She wanted a lot of gum paste figures too. Another friend is asking for a shoebox cake w/gum paste shoe, butterflies etc and I only charged her $150. She waited 2 days then said thank you. I told her that this is strictly a hobby but b/c we're friends I'll just charge for supplies and a little extra (which isn't much).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%