Cub Scouts Cake Question - Best Way To Add Badges?

Decorating By GarciaGM Updated 13 Feb 2011 , 4:58am by GarciaGM

GarciaGM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GarciaGM Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 2:52pm
post #1 of 3

My son and I will be working together on a cake similar to Miss Peru's for his Blue & Gold Banquet:

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1597184

(For the record, Miss Peru, if you're reading this, that cake is awesome!)

We want to do a two-tiered round cake and apply the badges to the sides of the bottom tier. I'm wondering what would be the easiest way to make these and apply them to the cake (especially since my son has to be involved in the decorating). I'm comfortable that we could do them in royal icing, but I'm concerned about it softening once it's applied to the sides of the cake (I had that happen once and my royal icing bled.) Is it safe as long as we apply the royal icing badges at the very last minute? Does anyone have any other recommendations for the easiest way (i.e., most kid-friendly way) to make these - candy clay, fondant, FBCT, royal icing?

Thanks so much guys!!

2 replies
weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 3:04pm
post #2 of 3

I just did a cake for the Scouts blue and gold banquet. I used edible images for mine. It worked our really well. I will have to load the picture, I just did it on Tuesday and have a wedding for tomorrow so I havent had a chance! But everyone really loved it and the design I did.

GarciaGM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GarciaGM Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 4:58am
post #3 of 3

Thanks for the idea, but I don't have an edible image printer. icon_sad.gif But I'd still love to see your picture, so please post it!! Thanks!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%