Help On Which Frost. For Edible Image On Cookie?

Baking By vickymacd Updated 15 Feb 2011 , 12:37pm by Sallyc4

vickymacd Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 12:32pm
post #1 of 11

I may be doing cookies for my son's wedding. I'd like to use edible image of a pic of them with the wedding date as the image.
Do I use fondant, royal icing, or chocolate on top of the cookie?
Will edible image attach to any of the above better?
If I use fondant, can I use MMF?
Do any of these hold up better than the other. It's a summer wedding.
The favors will not necessarily be outside as the reception will be in Michigan.
I hope I can attach the pic of what I am trying to do.

I still have a few months yet, but before I take on this project, I'd love all your ideas and tips. Thank you so much from a frantic mom trying to help a couple on a budget.

10 replies
Chellescakes Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 12:43pm
post #2 of 11

I would use fondant , I don't know anything about MMF so not sure about that.
and edible image will attach to the fondant with either a little cool boiled water sparing applied to the fondant or a little tylose glue.

Mostly when I use edible Images it is on fondant.

vickymacd Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 1:43pm
post #3 of 11

Thank you! And the next question then is, do you apply the fondant as soon
as the cookies come out of the oven? I've heard this is how they adhere to the cookie.

Chellescakes Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 2:16pm
post #4 of 11

I decorate mine when they are cool, I brush the cookie with a little sugar syrup or a little runny royal also works, I smooth the fondant with a piece of acetate and then trim of any ycucky edges if nescessary.

vickymacd Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 2:42pm
post #5 of 11

Thank you!

vickymacd Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 2:43pm
post #6 of 11

Thank you!

Chellescakes Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 2:47pm
post #7 of 11

no worries glad to help, icon_smile.gif

mrsfoxxy2u Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 3:26pm
post #8 of 11

hey there, lovely idea! i do lots of cookies, i always forget to take pics of them for some reason though. anyway i have used fondant, royal icing with a piped border and a thin flood coat, creamy fondant, they all have worked well. if your using a sugar or short bread cookie (i assume u are) i always let mine cool COMPLETELY, then i put either a layer of thin fondant on the cookie using a small amount of piping gel, or apricot preserves (same as crumb coating a cake) then a small amount of piping gel around the EDGES of the image and smooth it on to the cookie. if you completely cover the back of the image it sorta looks wet for a while until it drys, i have even had an image...i guess the word would be melt...while on the cookie because of too much gel on back...lesson learned. another idea, one i did recently was i made my sugar cookie all 170 of them, cooled them then got pearl luster dust and brushed it over th cookie, it had a nice sparkle with a pearl sheen, then i put on the image as i described, they were so pretty! one big word of advice...make sure your cookies are flat and smooth! good luck!!!! icon_smile.gif

Chellescakes Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 4:01pm
post #9 of 11

A good tip for cookies is to pop the tray of uncooked biscuits in the freezer for ten minutes before you bake them they keep their shape way better that way

tiggy2 Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 4:25pm
post #10 of 11

You can also use rolled BC, much tastier then fondant.

Sallyc4 Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 12:37pm
post #11 of 11

I always use Alice's Cookie Icing, I got it off of the Wilton Forum. It tastes amazing and is really easy to work with. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%