Gum Paste Flowers!

Decorating By Ninky Updated 13 Feb 2011 , 5:25am by Jeff_Arnett

Ninky Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 7:54am
post #1 of 6

Hi, just a general question, are there any flowers that are considered in bad taste or are bad luck to put on a wedding cake?
I have three tiers in the "victorian garden" stand to cover the old world type flowers (about 70 flowers in all) and though I would use, open roses, daisy ( cos they are large and will fill the space and I love them) lily of the valley, apple blossom and white Iris, which I am using to replace orchids as the bride hates them. Any problems with any of these on a wedding cake?
Thanks

5 replies
JenniferMI Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 2:30am
post #2 of 6

I've never heard of a flower that is bad luck....

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

costumeczar Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 2:58am
post #3 of 6

I'd say to avoid things like deadly nightshade, poison ivy, that kind of thing icon_wink.gif Seriously, I don't think there are any rules about flowers to avoid.

Ninky Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 3:06am
post #4 of 6

Thanks, I asked because a friend had a 5 tier wedding cake at her wedding some years ago and there were white lilies among the flowers. The ladies seated at my table were shocked as they said these were "funeral" flowers and would hate for someone to say that about my cake!

costumeczar Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 4:26am
post #5 of 6

White lilies are traditionally used for funerals, that's true. I've seen them used on cakes, tough. Maybe it doesn't bode well for the marriage.

Jeff_Arnett Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 5:25am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninky

Hi, just a general question, are there any flowers that are considered in bad taste or are bad luck to put on a wedding cake?
I have three tiers in the "victorian garden" stand to cover the old world type flowers (about 70 flowers in all) and though I would use, open roses, daisy ( cos they are large and will fill the space and I love them) lily of the valley, apple blossom and white Iris, which I am using to replace orchids as the bride hates them. Any problems with any of these on a wedding cake?
Thanks

One thing I like to do is to try to keep the different flowers along the same types.....for instance....daisies work well with mums or other garden flowers, but not so well with orchids or other tropicals......

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%