'shooting' Name Cake Topper

Decorating By thegreatbambi Updated 12 Feb 2011 , 8:04pm by poohsmomma

thegreatbambi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thegreatbambi Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 5:58am
post #1 of 2

I'm making a cake for my sister's baby shower. She wants the topper to be the baby's name 'shooting' out of the top of the cake (example below). Each letter will be made of fondant with a thin wire pushed through the center. I'm curious what is the best way to put each wire/letter into the cake that will be most sturdy? I thought of possibly getting a small styrofoam round, covering it with fondant, and putting it on the center of the top tier, then sticking each wire/letter into that to lend support....?
I'm not sure what's the best way to go about doing this. Any suggestions are really appreciated!

Here's a link to cakes that have the exact look that I want to create.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/karenscaketoppers/4796932640/in/photostream/

1 reply
poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 8:04pm
post #2 of 2

When I have items coming out of the cake, I like for them to all come from a common point on the cake, not all stuck in everywhere. I put the letters on the wires and let them dry well. Then I arrange them how I want them and twist the wire ends together. I melt some candy melts, fill a straw with the melted chocolate, and stick in the wire. When the candy cools and hardens, the wires are stable. Then I push the straw-trimmed to the correct length- down into the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%