Gluten Free Selfraising Flour Advice Required

Baking By TrialNError Updated 13 Feb 2011 , 5:10am by TrialNError

TrialNError Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 2:47am
post #1 of 4

Am I able to simply substitute Gluten Free (GF) Self-Raising Flour for normal Self-Raising (SR) Flour in any recipe that asks for SR Flour to be used?

I have been requested to make a Gluten Free cake for Tuesday morning (GMT+8hrs) & have purchased some Gluten Free SR Flour but not sure if I can take any normal recipe & amend it to become Gluten Free by simply substituting one for the other.

Help from Coeliac & Gluten Free experts is MUCH appreciated. Thanks in advance.

PS: Hope to receive a "speedy response" as I'm going to do a practise run soon so I am more comfortable doing the 'real thing' when required. Cheers!

3 replies
auzzi Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 5:10am
post #2 of 4

It depends on which type of flour blend you have purchased.

Check the back of the pack to see if the ingredients include vegeatble gum. If it does, fine - if not, you will have to purchase either xanthan gum or guar gum. These replace the gluten in the flour.

GF baking is a bit more involved than ordinary baking. Look for an actual GF recipe. A straight substitution into an ordinary recipe usually has to be tweaked.

Are you geared up for GF baking ?

Check this post:

TrialNError Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 4:51am
post #3 of 4

Thanks for your response. I usually get an email to notify when a post reply is made, but didn't get one for some reason.

I have bought the Orgran brand, which has got a blend of maize starch, tapioca flour, rice flour, glucono delta lactone, sodium bicarb. Veg gum:guar gum; as listed on the back of the pack.

I have never done any GF cooking before so am venturing into new territory; quite nervous to be honest.

I will check out the link you have attached & would appreciate tips along the way to successfully baking GF cakes.

Thanks for your response.

TrialNError Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 5:10am
post #4 of 4

I just read the link to GF cooking & didn't realise how 'involved' it can be. Fortunately, I have a few new baking dishes & tools, so will reserve this for GF cooking only & will be disinfecting all work surfaces with food-safe products.

Quote by @%username% on %date%