My Cookies Are Cracking Where I Put The Stick In

Baking By Spectra Updated 13 Feb 2011 , 8:42pm by Spectra

Spectra Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 2:23am
post #1 of 5

So the first batch of cookie sticks turned out great! No problems at all. The next time I put the sticks in the cookies after they were in the freezer for a few minutes, thinking they'd be easier to handle, which they were, but the almost all cracked parallel to where the stick was.

The third time I put the dough in the fridge overnight, then let it warm up a bit before rolling, cutting, then putting the sticks in while at room temp. Half of those cracked in the same place.

Now I roll my dough 1/4 thick, and use lollipop sticks, and they always need a little patch of dough on the backside because the sticks show through.

So am I doing something wrong? Even though they are cracked the sticks stayed in and the cookie didn't fall apart. I put the royal icing on and I'm sure they'll be fine, but I just don't like it! icon_smile.gif

4 replies
indydebi Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 3:04am
post #2 of 5

Double check the ratio between the thickness of yoru cookie and the thickness of your stick. I was trying to put a 1/8" stick in an 1/8" cookie and couldn't figure out why the dang thick was showing thru the back! icon_redface.gif Starting rolling the cookies thicker and problem solved! thumbs_up.gif

But i always put a sliver of dough on the back of the cookie to help reinforce it, though. Kinda my "belt and suspenders" system! icon_biggrin.gif

Another thing I started doing was holding my hand on top of the cookie while the stick was being pushed in and compressing the dough around the stick.

Spectra Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 3:11am
post #3 of 5

Thanks IndyDebi, I think I'm going to experiment with rolling it a bit thicker and see what happens. I noticed too that when I put the sticks in right when I just made the dough it was perfect, still had to patch the back, but when I did it after the dough was in the fridge it was firmer, tougher, and I'm wondering if that had something to do with it.
Definitely going to try it thicker though. What do you usually roll yours to?

Nancy_TX Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 3:53am
post #4 of 5

I gave up on putting the stick into the cookie. Now I just use candy melts to "glue" the stick on the back of the cookie.

Spectra Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 8:42pm
post #5 of 5

Oh I must try that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%