Using Toys On A Cake

Decorating By bohemiagetsajob Updated 13 Feb 2011 , 12:01am by bohemiagetsajob

bohemiagetsajob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bohemiagetsajob Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 2:21am
post #1 of 9

I am making my son's Kung Fu Panda cake in a few weeks and the toys I bought to use as toppers are much heavier than I thought. I assume I will need to support the toys with dowels but I've never done that before. What's the easiest way to approach this? Will I need a cake board or something underneath? Thank you in advance for any suggestions. I've tried seaching but I have not found the answer.

8 replies
gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 2:52am
post #2 of 9

If I was in your position, since I cannot sculpt my way out of a paper bag, I would try not use items that would sink. If that was not avoidable, I would use a board to support the items but disguise it with icing so it could not be seen. I've done this with a wedding cake topper that was heavy. But I am not commercial so I'm interested in what others suggest. thumbs_up.gif

bohemiagetsajob Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 3:04am
post #3 of 9

Thank you and I feel the same way about my sculpting skills. I had no idea when I ordered them online that they were going to be the size of my hand! lol

ladyt121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyt121 Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 3:13am
post #4 of 9

I WOULD USE A CAKE BOARD OR STYROFORMA ND DECORATE IT PLACE ALL THE TOYS WHERE U WANTS THEM AND SECURE THEM TO THE BOARD THEN USE THE DOWEL ROODS UNDER THE CAKE BOARD OR SYROFOAM IF U DONT HAVE DOWELS U CAN USE STRAWS I SUALLY DO THIS IF SOMETHING IS TO HEAVY FOR MY CAKES IM NOT GOOD AT SCULPTING EITHER AND I USE ALOT OF TOYS IN MY CAKES

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 3:25am
post #5 of 9

Any time I put toppers of any kind on my cakes I use cake boards and I like to use bubble straws under these items

Molly

bohemiagetsajob Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 3:30am
post #6 of 9

I'm probably showing how new I am to this, but when I serve take the boards off to serve the cake... will the icing stick to it? icon_redface.gif

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 5:16am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemiagetsajob

will the icing stick to it?

Not if you wait until the icing is crusted or use waxed paper underneath the board.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 11:21am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemiagetsajob

will the icing stick to it?

Not if you wait until the icing is crusted or use waxed paper underneath the board.

ditto

bohemiagetsajob Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 12:01am
post #9 of 9

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate your suggestions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%