Americolors Vs Wilton

Decorating By martinez73 Updated 15 Feb 2011 , 1:53am by Sassy74

martinez73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
martinez73 Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 1:59am
post #1 of 18

I just tried Americolors for the first time this week and it seems to me that I had to use a lot more of the Americolor then the Wilton ones. Maybe it was just the color I needed. But I would just like to see what other people think.

17 replies
VaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VaBelle Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 2:12am
post #2 of 18

I just used Americolor for the first time last week, black and egg yellow, and needed very little. I used the yellow to tint white fondant the Packers yellow color. I think I used six or seven drops and I had the color I needed. I'm going to start stocking up and getting rid of my Wilton colors.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 2:30am
post #3 of 18

You need way more wilton than Americolor to tint your frostings...Maybe it was the color you were using but Americolor is all I use plus the fact they come in squeeze bottles which is much easier than trying to dig out coloring with a toothpick.

QueLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueLinda Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 2:39am
post #4 of 18

I recently tried Americolor and loved them! I espically like the squeezable bottles. I too am weeding out my wilton colors.

Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 2:43am
post #5 of 18

Americolors all the way! their airbrush colors are great too!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 3:00am
post #6 of 18

I have both. I thought I was using more Americolor,too- at first. I'm still not sure how much I like the squeeze bottles because you can't empty them out the way you can with Wilton and a toothpick. It always seems like there's a lot left in there that you can't get out. However, digging out color with a toothpick is a pain and it's pretty messy. Once I open a jar of Wilton and use it, the jar is never completely clean again on the outside.

Americolor has some colors that I just can't find in Wilton locally. Their red and black is loads better than Wilton. For now, I have both brands. I'm not going to just pitch my Wilton ones. I will probably always buy at least a few Wilton colors because they can't be purchases at a lot more places than Americolor.

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 3:11am
post #7 of 18

Americolors are the best!! Use less, cost less, less mess, i love them and will NEVER use Wilton again... witlon products are for a hobby baker or like a mom who wants to make a cake once and never again for the most part

kimkake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimkake Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 3:12am
post #8 of 18

I also have been switching over to Americolor lately - and love it. Much cleaner than Wilton and love the red and black!! Also love that you can buy large squeeze bottles.

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 4:17am
post #9 of 18

Love the americolors. I do like the wilton rose though, but other than that I only use americolors. Have no idea why I'm holding onto my wiltons - sentimental reasons maybe?

mccorda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mccorda Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 4:34am
post #10 of 18

I like the squeeze tubes of gel coloring from Country Kitchen Sweetart and the americolor. I haven't used Wilton in years.

sugardugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardugar Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 4:19am
post #11 of 18

i had been wondering this for so long - ty for the thread and the helpful answers! i am in a relatively small place and they only sell wilton colours. i never thought to order them online - when i saw the squeeze bottle i assumed they weren't gel, ha.

ordering some now - i HATE using toothpicks, especially if i'm doing a huge batch of icing or fondant and need a lot.

Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 4:30am
post #12 of 18

I use americolors too and they work just fine. My definite favorite though is the color gels from DecoPac, they are the strongest of any colors I've used and the reds and blacks don't have that chemi-flavor that americolor has going on...unfortunatley, for hobbyists and home-bakers, DecoPac only sells to businesses thumbsdown.gif

LaurelC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaurelC Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 5:45am
post #13 of 18

I like Americolors for all the reasons everybody else does, but Wilton has a few colors that Americolor doesn't (Delphinium Blue comes to mind) and Americolor has all the 'Electric' colors that Wilton doesn't (Didn't Wilton once make a neon color pack?)

I've been afraid to use the Americolor Super Red because I've always had such good luck with Wilton Red (No Taste). I have to use a LOT (and I mean a LOT) of it to get a true red, but it doesn't have an aftertaste.

Does the Americolor have any aftertaste in the red, black, blue, violet, or pink?

Matthewop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Matthewop Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 6:22am
post #14 of 18

i think i will vote for Americolors

drdm99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drdm99 Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 2:19am
post #15 of 18

I have never had a problem with Americolor and an aftertaste. Also, the Americolor gels don't coagulate like Wilton has a tendency to do over time.

Paperfishies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paperfishies Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 4:22am
post #16 of 18

I love americolor so much more than wilton! In my opinion wilton colors have a weird aftertaste. I don't get this with americolor.

Dani1081 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dani1081 Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 4:36am
post #17 of 18

Americolor Super Red has a definite chemical taste. I use Wilton No Taste Red to get my red as close as possible then add a tiny bit of Americolor Super Red and that way I have a minimum of the awful Americolor taste but still have the nice brilliant red color that I need. If you take the cap off of the Super Red and sniff, that terrible metallic chemical smell is exactly what it tastes like. I recently have been thinking about trying a powder to see if they have the odd taste. Does anyone use any of the powders?

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 1:53am
post #18 of 18

Americolor gets my vote. I order them in the 4.5 oz bottles and they last forever because you use less generally. Especially the red and black. Also, I like that they have some unusual colors.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%