Double Barrel Cake Order - Help!

Decorating By GeordieMum Updated 12 Feb 2011 , 2:15am by wiggler

GeordieMum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeordieMum Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 1:56am
post #1 of 2

Hi there,

I just received an order for a very special lady's 90th birthday cake. The order is for a double barrel cake with pink roses on top. Wonderful! Am very excited as I've never done a double barrel cake before.

My problem though is that they want both fruit cake AND chocolate mud cake in the double barrel. So, I have a few questions (which may sound a bit dumb, but bare with me!)

Fruit cake goes on the bottom (I was going to cover fruit cake in marzipan), cardboard cake board separating that with the chocolate mud cake on top, which will be ganached. Will I then need to ganache over the marzipan to get a seamless finished so I can then cover in fondant? How is this possible and won't that seem... iffy (for want of a better word!) to have chocolate ganache covering the marizpan? I can't cover the fruit cake in chocolate ganache now can I... Please help!! Open to any suggestions or comments how I can achieve this and get a nice smooth finish for this cake.

Many thanks in advance!!

happy caking icon_smile.gif

Geordie x

1 reply
wiggler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wiggler Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 2:15am
post #2 of 2

hi , im new to this too . i think you should cover the fruitcake with marzipan and then fondant , then cover the next tier with ganache and then fondant , then stack them . ganache over marzipan would not be very nice. excuse the punctuation , the caps lock on my laptop broken. good luck princess.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%