Help! Forgot The Meringue Power

Baking By janice2020 Updated 12 Feb 2011 , 10:10am by indydebi

janice2020 Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 10:16pm
post #1 of 5

I forgot to add the meringue powder to my buttercream. Do you think I could just add the powder and remix or it a total disaster?

4 replies
pmarks0 Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 10:20pm
post #2 of 5

You can probably just add and remix as it generally gets added with the PS. But you can also just leave it out probably as well. The only recipe I used that uses it is the Wilton recipe. The buttercream I use now (SugarShack) doesn't use it at all. I think it may help with crusting.

3GCakes Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 10:28pm
post #3 of 5

I stopped using it long ago. I decided it was just a ploy to get people to buy the stuff. It works with and without.

janice2020 Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 6:45am
post #4 of 5

I went ahead and used the buttercream without the meringue powder and it was just fine and crusted nicely. So, what is the purpose for the meringue powder anyway?

indydebi Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 10:10am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GCakes

I stopped using it long ago. I decided it was just a ploy to get people to buy the stuff. It works with and without.

Agree.

Wilton's purpose in telling us to use MP in our icing? Just to get us to spend money on Wilton brand MP.

I've actually never used it in my cake icing and I've been making them for 30 years. I'd see it on the shelf but never had a clue what it was for.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%