Somebody Please Help Asap (Today!!)

Decorating By AllieBakes Updated 13 Feb 2011 , 2:25am by JenniferMI

AllieBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AllieBakes Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 9:57pm
post #1 of 6

I am donating a cake to an event, and the theme is Snowboarding. I came across a dew snowboarding cakes that had like a glossy, metallic look to make the snow more realistic. How do I do this?! Is it s paint? Or a glaze?
here are the pictures of two different ones

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24951621@N03/3037401759/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cakehobbyist/3413168338/

p.s. they do mention in the comments that it is not airbrushed.

5 replies
AllieBakes Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 10:01pm
post #2 of 6

a few* snowboard cakes

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 10:02pm
post #3 of 6

Mix pearl dust and vodka, and paint it on. You can also use pearl sheen airbrush color, applied with a paintbrush. If you have a cake supply shop near you, they probably have the airbrush color. It's a lot more pearly-looking than the Wilton dusts, but if all you have near you is Michaels or Hobby lobby, you can get some white Wilton dust and that will work too. For the blue parts, I'd just mix a teensy bit of blue food color into the mix of dust and vodka, or into the airbrush color, rather than buying blue dust.

AnotherCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCaker Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 10:04pm
post #4 of 6

Luster dust applied dry probably. I think you're seeing something that isn't there, like the lighting in the particular photos. I see nothing but a lot of luster dust and a strong flash from the camera.

AllieBakes Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 10:04pm
post #5 of 6

You rock! Thank you so much!! I'm looking forward to trying this! Thank you for the quick response as well, considering I need to start it in about an hour lol

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 2:25am
post #6 of 6

For metallic look, the hi-liter dusts are wonderful.

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%