Getting Started With Blowing Sugar

Sugar Work By VaBelle Updated 9 Dec 2013 , 12:17am by ajabakes440

VaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VaBelle Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 9:41pm
post #1 of 14

My husband is interested in learning how to blow sugar. When I went down to our local cake shop and I asked about it, I was very much discouraged and said we'd have to start by buying a $1000 kit. I read a recent post talking about buying cheaper items. Can anyone give me some advice on how to get him started? I've been looking at some websites, but didn't get any ideas.

13 replies
VaBelle Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 1:09pm
post #2 of 14

Nobody has any hints or advice?

Starkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starkie Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 1:21pm
post #3 of 14

There is a tutorial on here about blowing sugar bubbles. I have tried it, with no success. Of course I have never worked with sugar before, either. The tutorial is by Mary Ann (cakesbymaryann.com). I don't know her screen name. I hope this helps! Maybe someone else can give you the link to the tutorial!

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 1:31pm
post #4 of 14

I think that blowing sugar is a wonderful and mysterious technique that can be equated with blowing glass. I suggest that you and DH Google the subject and read and research the topic. I found a multitude of links when I typed in "blowing sugar" in Yahoo. Here is one of the links:
http://spinningsugar.wordpress.com/2007/09/15/blowing-and-sculpting-sugar/. Unless you know someone who can teach it, I think it will be trial and error like other cake decorating skills.

I wish you luck in learning how to do this and look forward to seeing the first pieces on CC thumbs_up.gif

Put me on your list of people that will be wanting to see your work icon_biggrin.gif

Pam

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 1:39pm
post #5 of 14

Go to the forums tab on CC,
click on search,
type in sugar bubbles,
choose search for all terms,
choose search topic title only,
click on search.

I got a page with 34 topics to read. Here's one:
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-41980-sugar.html+bubbles

Hope that helps!
Pam

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 1:41pm
post #6 of 14

I took a class from B Keith Ryder . For equipment you need a candy thermometer, a warming box (you can construct one with plexiglass or PVC pipe & clear vinyl and a heat lamp,) a spirit burner, latex gloves, cotton glove liners, a piece of small diameter copper pipe attached to a blood pressure bulb. Hardly $1000 worth of equipment.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 1:53pm
post #7 of 14

Chef Laurel did a Sugar Basics DVD from Y U M M Y A R T S (dot) com. She goes through all the basics of it. It's great to watch just to see what you might be getting into. icon_biggrin.gif

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 4:06pm
post #8 of 14

You certainly don't need $1,000 worth of equipment. I don't know what those people were talking about. Perhaps they aren't sugar people. Occther's list is pretty much all you really need to do blown sugar.

If, by chance, VaBell, you are in VA, the VA ICES chapter is having an isomalt day on Sunday Feb 20th. I'm the leadoff person talking about how to cook isomalt, followed by Megan Ferry who's teaching doing some pouring techniques, and lastly Keith Ryder is teaching blowing and pulling. All Isomalt, All day!

sweeteats0919 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweeteats0919 Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 7:46pm
post #9 of 14

Can you tell me where the VA day of sharing will be? I am in MD but would be interested in going if it is not to far to drive.

VaBelle Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 7:56pm
post #10 of 14

Thanks everyone! I didn't think such an expensive kit was required to at least start.

dchockeyguy - I am in Virginia! Hampton Roads. I would be interested. Of course, it's my son's birthday this weekend, the big #1, so I don't know if I could make it, but if it's local to me, I might be able to catch some of it. Thanks!

lora breedt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lora breedt Posted 30 Jul 2013 , 2:37pm
post #11 of 14

Hallo i am from South Afrika, very mutch interested in doing sugar blowing myself, but i am stuck as well, with the problem that no one can tell me where to bay the tools needed, where or what can i use in the place of the silicone mat?

thecakeladyniki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakeladyniki Posted 20 Nov 2013 , 9:25am
post #12 of 14

Hi Laura

I just ordered a silicone mat from Yuppie Chef for sugar blowing with great results.

Let me know if you need anything else - I'm in Kwa Zulu Natal.

Regards

Niki

BethCL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BethCL Posted 5 Dec 2013 , 7:27pm
post #13 of 14

Hi - blowing sugar isn't that hard, and doesn't take $1,000 of equipment. Here's link to a tutorial. 

A simple sugar pump, gloves, a torch, and isomalt nibs are all you need. Good luck!

ajabakes440 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajabakes440 Posted 9 Dec 2013 , 12:17am
post #14 of 14

When i decided to start sugar work i purchased a cheap ceramic socket and heat bulb then used an old GE fixture i had laying around. there are a lot of online places that show you how to build your own "hot box" and an actual sugar recipie instead of isomalt is way cheaper for practice and learning. the best book on the subject is the art of the confectioner ( about $60)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%