Can You Refreeze Thawed Un-Iced Cakes?

Decorating By kweenofengland Updated 14 Feb 2011 , 2:26am by drdm99

kweenofengland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kweenofengland Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 7:18pm
post #1 of 6

I had a 80th bday cake due tonight for pick up and customer just called at 12:00pm and said the party girl was sick, moving party to next weekend. She is a good friend of mine, so I am not upset, BUT i do not want to lose the work i have already done. i baked 6", 8", 10", and 12" cakes and froze them. laid them out this morning to thaw for when i get home tonight to decorate. my question is : Can I refreeze the cakes after they have been frozen and thawed so i can use them next weekend? I know you cant refreeze hamburger meat, so I didn't know if the same rule applies? The cakes are not iced.

Also, while I am asking....who decorates cakes and then freezes them? how do they turn out and taste? customer told me to just make the cake and freeze it until next weekend, but i am hesitant to do that because i want it to taste good. This is my reputation!

thanks for the help!

5 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 7:39pm
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kweenofengland

Can I refreeze the cakes after they have been frozen and thawed so i can use them next weekend?

I don't see why not... many wholesale bakeries remove their layers from the freezer, ice & decorate to fullfill the order, and the extra rack(s) of thawing layers are returned to the freezer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kweenofengland

Also, while I am asking....who decorates cakes and then freezes them? how do they turn out and taste?

Again, many wholesale bakeries decorate cakes and ship them out frozen.
Also, many top tiers of wedding cakes are frozen, as well as leftover all-occasion cakes. As long as they are wrapped/packaged properly, they'll taste fine when thawed.

kweenofengland Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 7:43pm
post #3 of 6

i am more hesitant about freezing the whole can than i am to just refreeze the cake layers especially since i ate my 'anniversary' cake a year later and it was horrific (of course i am sure it wasnt wrapped right and it was a whole year later). But thanks so much for the info! i am totally putting those things back in the freezer!

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 7:03am
post #4 of 6

You CAN refreeze hamburger meat! If it was thawed in the fridge and is still fresh (i.e. hasn't been sitting in the fridge for a week now) that is. The danger of refreezing food is with foods that are perishable at room temperature...which you have allowed to reach room temp. Once it's entered its "perishable time zone" (generally, 2 hours w/o refrigeration), refreezing it just freezes (but not kills) the bacteria that have started to grow.

Uniced cakes would not be considered perishable at room temp for a few hours; I would rewrap them and refreeze them til needed.

There is nothing wrong with freezing a decorated cake, presuming you can wrap it well! Especially when you consider that you are only talking about freezing it for a week. The buttercream seals in the cake; it's just the icing that you want to protect from freezer burn at that point. I've seen some here freeze the cake til hard and THEN wrap it while it's hard, to protect the decorations. Or, they box it up and wrap the box to seal out the drying cold air.

kweenofengland Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 3:06am
post #5 of 6

thanks so much! very good information to know!

drdm99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drdm99 Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 2:26am
post #6 of 6

I have successfully re-frozen thawed cakes. I have also done this with bread and have had absolutely no problems. I wouldn't let it sit out for days and then refreeze, but the same day or next should be fine. Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%