Edible Ink Printers

Business By Ange1mom Updated 11 Feb 2011 , 10:11pm by tiggy2

Ange1mom Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 6:56pm
post #1 of 9

I am just getting started with my home based business and am wanting to purchase an edible ink printer.

I realize I need to buy the "ink" separate from the printer. My question is what is the least expensive option I can go with that will be a good starter printer? Suggested model numbers GREATLY appreciated.

I need to take into account the cost of the printer AND the replacement costs of the "inks". I don't need an all in one...just a printer. My other printer can scan, save etc. I have separate editing software so I don't need that either.

Where do y'all suggest I purchase the best priced "inks"? Is KopyKake my only option?

Any and all opinions and suggestions are greatly appreciated. I have looked at all the different options out there and I am confused! Of course, it doesn't take much to confuse me anymore ;o) Thanks in advance!

Angie B in NC

8 replies
bakershusband Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 7:17pm
post #2 of 9

Before you go and buy a printer and ink I would suggest understanding how much you will actually be using it. The reason being is the print heads will dry up and become an added expense if you are not using it enough.
Beyond that I would look at like the Canon PIXMA which I know you can buy edible ink for as well as a few other Canon models.
The other expense that you have along with the ink and printer is the rice paper.

jason_kraft Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 7:58pm
post #3 of 9

We did some research on this a while ago, and we came to the conclusion that edible ink printers and consumables are just too expensive and too much trouble vs. the FBCT method.

Kiddiekakes Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 9:23pm
post #4 of 9

I agree Jason..I spent over $400.00 getting set up and within 5 months the printer was clogged..The black leaked inside and I couldn't clean it all..ended up throwing away everything..Inks,printer etc..I was livid!!!and I did use it at least once a week....

worst waste of money I ever spent for cake decorating....

weirkd Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 9:44pm
post #5 of 9

Ditto with Jason. I had the whole Canon set up and didnt have it for even 6 months and it broke. The ink was really expensive and have the rice paper was torn up before I could use it. Wasnt worth it.
If I need edible images then I buy them from places that do that online. I recently bought some from edible images.com and she was great to work with, got them really fast and she printed more than I asked for!! Definetly will use her again!

pmarks0 Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 9:46pm
post #6 of 9

Check the Icing Images forum. There are several new posts asking the same question.

tinav33 Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 10:00pm
post #7 of 9

A friend of mine was looking into the edible printer and she actually found out that our local grocery store-bakery dept (Carrs/Safeway bakery dept) does their own edible printing for their cakes and will actually just print the picture onto the edible paper for $6.00 a picture. So, now she just goes to our grocery store, they do the printing and she adds that to her cakes. so, if you don't want to invest all the $$ into a printer, this might be an option if your local grocery bakery does edible printing.

pmarks0 Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 10:07pm
post #8 of 9

I do that at our local grocery store as well. It would be nice to have the printer but right now I have so few requests, I'd hate to have the nozzles clog and dry out because I haven't used it. It's recommended you print at least once a week (and can do so on regular paper) but it's a waste of ink.

tiggy2 Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 10:11pm
post #9 of 9

Canon MP560 is a great, inexpensive printer. IMO icingimages ink is superior to kopykake. I had an epson and it worked great but wanted wiresless so replaced it with the canon and have been very happy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%