Buttercream In Tropical Weather

Decorating By hodl Updated 12 Feb 2011 , 10:17pm by cakesnglass

hodl Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 5:36pm
post #1 of 7

I would like to know what have been other people experience when preparing and leaving buttercream at room temperature environment (mostly in the 80 degrees). I would love to have input from those with experience or those who live in places where air conditioning is NOT the norm.

Probably, those familiar with the Texas area weather (late spring/early summer) could also offer some input on this subject.

Obviously, I am not refering to uncovered areas such as a park or the beach, my concern relates more to living in a tropical area where windows are open all day.

I mostly use high ratio shortening for my buttercream. Although this provides some stablility to the buttercream, it has been difficult for me to alter the flavor. No matter the amount of sugar or different brands of extracts, I still dislike the after taste of this particular shortening.
Is there a particular recipe that people prefer under this circunstance? Is there a particular stabilizer for recipes base on cream cheese or butter that you prefer? Is there a particular recipe that someone could share?

Thank you so much for anyones input.

6 replies
Ambar2 Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 6:16pm
post #2 of 7

Well I live in Puerto Rico and the temperature here most of the time is 90 degress or more and who ever has air conditioning is super blessed. I am not one of those "blessed" people so my windows are open 24/7 365, and my buttercream holds up incredibly. I've havent used high ration shortening, I always use Crisco and no after taste. My favorite go to recipe would have to be "arkirose". Here's the link http://cakecentral.com/recipes/16188/the-best-buttercream-ever, its really yummy and very stable. HTH

chinadoll652003 Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 6:22pm
post #3 of 7

Do you use all shortening or do you also use butter? My butter cream is a 50/50 of shortening and butter. I used to live in Louisiana, where temperatures would reach 120 in the shade. I always put either meringue powder or cream of tartar in my icing to help stabilize it.

How long do you intend to leave your cake sitting out? 80 degrees isn't that hot unless you also have a very high humidity index? I would suggest keeping your cake out of the sun and in a cool spot on your counter or refrigerate it.

divinecc Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 6:36pm
post #4 of 7

I live in Utah and in the summer it is HOT! I use Indydebi's recipe everyone swears by it and it hasn't let me down. Sometimes I even sub 1/3 c shortening for butter. It taste really good too, not greasy or thick because of the dream whip. Its in the mosed saved recipe section!

hodl Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 11:22am
post #5 of 7

Thank you to everyone for input as this is certainly a trial and error situation.

I have only done recipes with one kind of fat (shortening or butter) before. Last time I did a butter base buttercream was during the summer season and the fat separated enough to make the cake looked like a crying cake.

Ambar2, I will definitely try the recipe you suggested as it combines butter and shortening, I just wasnt sure which recipe was worth to try.

Chinadol, I really avoid leaving the cake on the counter for extremely long hours once it has been crumb coated. I normally bake the cake no more than two days before decorating it. I then keep it in the refrigerator sealed unless I am ready to decorated right away. Still, it always depends on the weather and often I had the surprise of rainy days. Thank you for the suggestion about the cream of tartar.

Do you limit the use of cream of tartar to buttercreams containg egg whites or would it be reasonable to added to a recipe like the one that Ambar2 suggested just as a stabilizer.?

Divinecc, I have really considered Indydebis recipe many times but this dream whip is taking me more that a dream to find. I have not been able to find it even at my local Walmartjust one of those ingredients that I always keep in mind. Definitely, I will just keep lookinganything for hot/humid environments.

I must say that I have used dark chocolate ganache with very good results but I needed suggestions for an alternative without chocolate.

Thank you so much to all of you for your replies.

chinadoll652003 Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 9:57pm
post #6 of 7

Yes, you can use cream of tartar in any. Even a Swiss Meringue Buttercream uses it. I believe Indy Debi's recipe uses the dream whip for the same purpose. Also, meringue powder can be used as a stabilizer as well. HTH and good luck!

cakesnglass Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 10:17pm
post #7 of 7

Dream Whip is usually next to the jello or marshmallow fluff. In a box.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%