Help Please - Carved Car Cakes!

Decorating By allaboutcakeuk Updated 13 Feb 2011 , 1:32pm by allaboutcakeuk

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 4:00pm
post #1 of 6

Hi can anyone help me please. I have to make these 2 cakes. I am unsure what size cakes to bake and getting the right dimensions and also how do I get the dual effect colour of fondant on the camper van? Should I cover the whole car in white and put a strip of blue round the base or any other better ways of doing it please?

I'm wishing I had not said yes right now...

cannot attach the photos for some reason don't understand why it won't let me icon_sad.gif
any help please anyone?

Thank you!

5 replies
keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 3:51am
post #2 of 6

Your not going to like my answer, maybe someone has a better way. This is what I do. I bake 2 11x13's, freeze them, stack and start carving. Your going to need 4 for 2 vehicles. I fill them with enough batter that they are super full.
As for the 2 tone, I hope you have an air-brush. If not, go ahead and do one color fondant, then the other. You can add detail such as pin striping at the seam. Hope this helps some.

cinjam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinjam Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 4:12am
post #3 of 6

Can you get pictures of the car off the internet (side, front, top, back views)? Print them out and enlarge them to about the size you want the cake to be (a bit smaller since the fondant will increase the size).

Cut the car out. Use this as a template to carve (hold the paper up to the cake and then cut around the template). When I've done this, the side view was the most important. I could never wing the dimensions. But, having this template gives you a clear view how big of a cake you need to bake.

Can you include links to the pictures (if they are on the net) instead of trying to attach?

frankdiabetes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frankdiabetes Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 4:15am
post #4 of 6

I made a 3D car cake (Toyota Rav4 in my photos). I made 4 9x13" cakes (I had to scale down because I really didn't want to do 11x18" like keonicakes).

If you can find scale drawings of the cars you want to make, then print them out and they'll help with carving. I covered the cab of the cars with light colored modeling chocolate for the windows, then covered the entire thing with fondant and cut out the windows and windshields. Also did the same for the front bumper with black textured modeling chocolate underneath. And I used tiny battery-powered LED lights for headlights.

I don't know if you have time to get Mike McCarey's Car Cakes DVD but if you do, I highly recommend it. It was so helpful for me. Good luck!

keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 4:24am
post #5 of 6

Yes, smaller pans would work too, I used larger pans because I had to do a Hummer and a firetruck. The led's are super cool in these. It really isn't hard once you make the first cut.

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 1:32pm
post #6 of 6

thank you all so much for your help and advice - CCers to the rescue again - what would I do without you!
Thank you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%