The Mat---For Fondant

Decorating By Jody130 Updated 20 May 2013 , 7:30pm by TheLoveOfSugar

Jody130 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jody130 Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 2:40pm
post #1 of 44

Has anyone purchased this mat?? If so do you like it?? Online with Caljava it states works best with Fondax, does it also work ok with MMF?? Interested in purchasing but wanted to see others opinions.
Thanks for your help!

43 replies
sarkee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarkee Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 2:52pm
post #2 of 44

I bought it because of all the talk on here, received it about 2 weeks ago. It is the absolute best thing since cake itself. I used it w/ MMF. No problems. Allow yourself a little time to just get used to it, but worked beautifully. Can't wait to use it again.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 2:54pm
post #3 of 44

I've been using a "mat" for a long time....bought at the fabric store a lot cheaper. I also never used the "double" mat system. I love using a mat...it's the only way I will cover a cake with fondant, but mine was waaaaaaaay cheaper.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 3:02pm
post #4 of 44

I bought it and I love it!! I think it works better than even the silpat type mats on the market. I have two of them and every time I trim using my pizza cutter, it cuts the thing up. It also will stain with some of the petal colors. Ive done both on The Mat and have had no problems what so ever.
I can tell you that you can buy the same vinyl at a fabric store probably for cheaper. Ive used the same method for rolling out pie dough and used press and seal for years and never thought to try it with fondant!! One of those Duh moments that I could of made a bundle off of it if I had thought of it first!!! lol

winny01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winny01 Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 3:05pm
post #5 of 44

I too bought the Mat. I have mixed reviews. The first time I used it, it was okay. The second time I used it the fondant stuck all over it. I had to use a whole new batch of fondant. I used MMF both times. If I use it again I might just use the bottom mat and see how that works.

beenie51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beenie51 Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 3:22pm
post #6 of 44

I have used the mat and I like the way the "mat" works. I used with wilton fondant and had no problem at all. Made adding fondant easy and quick.
REMEMBER, that the mat is food safe, the vinyl you purchase at the fabric store is not. If going to all the trouble of keeping things that go on and in the cake food safe why use a product that is not considered food safe.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 3:29pm
post #7 of 44

I bought The Mat, and I'm very happy with it. It works exactly as demonstrated in the video, and I really, really like knowing that it is food safe. In general, I think that us cake decorators are so "resourceful" that we end up using a lot of tools on our cakes that weren't meant to touch food -- craft store vinyl being one of them. I will always support a product that is made for our craft with food safety in mind.

Niki11784 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niki11784 Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 3:47pm
post #8 of 44

I just got the mat and I LOVE it! It used to take me a half hour to cover one cake. I just made a 4 tier cake and it took 30 minutes to cover all of them. I used homemade MMF, and I just made sure it wasnt too sticky and it was totally fine. I completely recommend it- worth every penny!

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 3:54pm
post #9 of 44

I love the Mat but I used it with Duff fondant and it stuck. Not sure if I haven't used it enough to get it seasoned or if it's the brand of fondant. I'm going to do some experiments with other fondants and see how it goesicon_smile.gif

SweetSouthernBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSouthernBakery Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 4:19pm
post #10 of 44

I've taken classes at Sweetwise which is the company that makes "The Mat" and people that were in the class as well used all different kinds of fondant including Duff's and it all works. However all of the mats used there are very well seasoned so that does help. I bought my own mat and the first few times it got stuck in a few places but it never created bny issues with the fondant. Just make sure that you season your mat very well and it does get better with use. Good Luck

CakeCrystals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeCrystals Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 4:36pm
post #11 of 44

I purchased the "MAT" last year and I absolutely LOVE IT!! I used Satin Ice fondant and MMF and the "MAT" worked like a charm. Both types of fondant rolled easily with no sticking. Before the "MAT" is used the blue Ateco mat and the "MAT" beat it hand downs. I just wish that I knew about a lot sooner then maybe my fondant work would have looked a lot better.

divinecc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecc Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 4:42pm
post #12 of 44

I got THE MAT for Christmas it works great but it seems to leave marks on the fondant from air bubbles??? When I roll out on my counter with the same fondant it is smooth...any help?

Niki11784 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niki11784 Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 4:45pm
post #13 of 44

They put out a new video to solve the problem. They call it pockmarks.

divinecc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecc Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 6:32pm
post #14 of 44

Yea I saw that but they say its because you have too much color in it or knead it wrong but in my case that doesn't make sense because if I roll the same batch out onto my counter or pampered chef mat it doesn't do it????

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 7:50pm
post #15 of 44

As I have said on other threads about this product, I love it. In fact I am going to buy more for my cakery. We will use that until I can afford a sheeter. But right now we are looking to put a sheeter in the business plan. Yay!

Jody130 Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 8:12pm
post #16 of 44

Thanks to all of you for your response!! I'm going to order it right now!!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 9:22pm
post #17 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaigle

I've been using a "mat" for a long time....bought at the fabric store a lot cheaper. I also never used the "double" mat system. I love using a mat...it's the only way I will cover a cake with fondant, but mine was waaaaaaaay cheaper.

Yes, but it's not food safe vinyl.

Creating and marketing food safe products add cost to those products, but it's a worthwhile cost in the end.

Rae

Jody130 Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 6:43pm
post #18 of 44

I just got THE MAT, and have read on here to season good before use, exactly what is the seasoning part?? Do I use Crisco?? Can anyone explain to me??
Thanks in advance!

CakeCrystals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeCrystals Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 6:46pm
post #19 of 44

Yes, just use a thin layer of crisco on the MAT and then wipe off excess.

KateLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateLS Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 7:07pm
post #20 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by divinecc

Yea I saw that but they say its because you have too much color in it or knead it wrong but in my case that doesn't make sense because if I roll the same batch out onto my counter or pampered chef mat it doesn't do it????

At about 5:30, she gives a suggestion to help with the marks. I also had them a lot and discovered it was from first putting too much shortening on when seasoning and then having too much air get trapped. So I suggest wiping your mat off more and trying this method in the video.

Good luck!

KateLS Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 7:09pm
post #21 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jody130

I just got THE MAT, and have read on here to season good before use, exactly what is the seasoning part?? Do I use Crisco?? Can anyone explain to me??
Thanks in advance!

She shows it at about 1:14.

Good luck!

joejessaustin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joejessaustin Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 2:16am
post #22 of 44

I got the mat this week and used it for the first time yesterday. I have to say I LOVE IT!! I can't say enough wonderful things about it! It worked just like the video. I was so nervous about the fondant sticking and not working. I used Satin Ice and MMF. Now, I don't mind when I have to use fondant! I should have bought this earlier!

shenglu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shenglu Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 7:38am
post #23 of 44

I think our cake decorating "resourceful", so we end up on our cake, does not mean that touch food with a lot of tools - craft shops ethylene is one of them. I will continue to support, we take into account food safety technology into the product.

kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 4:33am
post #24 of 44

Should I get 1 or 2? The video I saw was using 2 mats.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 4:53am
post #25 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by kger

Should I get 1 or 2? The video I saw was using 2 mats.

When you buy it, you get 2. It's a system designed to roll the fondant between the 2 sheets.

Personally, I only roll on top of one sheet--always have. I find that the sheet, always stuck to the end of my counter but covered when not being used to roll out fondant or modeling chocolate, lasts about a year. Not bad, in my opinion.

rae

Spooky_789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spooky_789 Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 6:35pm
post #26 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbitz

I love the Mat but I used it with Duff fondant and it stuck. Not sure if I haven't used it enough to get it seasoned or if it's the brand of fondant. I'm going to do some experiments with other fondants and see how it goesicon_smile.gif

Most of the reviews over on Wilton of The Mat and Duff's fondant have not been good. Something about Duff's fondant just doesn't jive well with it. I have no personal experience with Duff's fondant.

I have only rolled out MMF on my Mat and it works great!

Debbye27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbye27 Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 6:53pm
post #27 of 44

do you have a link for 'the mat'?
I use a pink rubbery mat I got from amazon - it says NY cakes on it....and I LOVE it! I rub it with shortening everytime I use it and never have sticking...I use MMF, I've even make the fondant on the mat, wipe it down, rub with shortening again, then roll out my fondant on it.....I don't use powdered sugar at all.

Is 'the mat' something different from what I have?

lilscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilscakes Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 7:10pm
post #28 of 44

[quote="BlakesCakes"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaigle

Yes, but it's not food safe vinyl.

Creating and marketing food safe products add cost to those products, but it's a worthwhile cost in the end.

I don't think this differs from using a "paint roller" designed for paint, to smooth your BC (Melvira's method), & other tools designed for other uses, but adapted to caking. The vinyl is designed to be used as a tablecloth cover, so the fact it's not food safe is up to the individual using it. I personally have used that type of vinyl with great success for a long time. Most people won't eat the fondant on a cake anyway as it's not the most palateable stuff...no matter what type you use. Just my 2 cents .....

KateLS Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 8:54pm
post #29 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbye27

do you have a link for 'the mat'?
I use a pink rubbery mat I got from amazon - it says NY cakes on it....and I LOVE it! I rub it with shortening everytime I use it and never have sticking...I use MMF, I've even make the fondant on the mat, wipe it down, rub with shortening again, then roll out my fondant on it.....I don't use powdered sugar at all.

Is 'the mat' something different from what I have?

Yes, it is different. Here's the link.

Debbye27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbye27 Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 9:28pm
post #30 of 44

Oh - how do you store it?
I have this one -
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0059J8MY8/?tag=cakecentral-20

My only complaint is that I wish it came with something to store it in.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%