Fondant Figure Falling Apart-Cake Due Today At 3 Help!!

Decorating By pinky317 Updated 11 Feb 2011 , 7:30pm by pinky317

pinky317 Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 1:08pm
post #1 of 13

So I have made four cheerleader figures and stupid me decided to let the individual peice dry seperatly so that I could handle them better BUT now they are not sticking very well and every time I go to work with it a leg pops off or hair is breaking etc. What can I do for a quick stick fix. Im currently glueing them together with wet fondant and water. Any other ideas?

Im also worried about puting them on the cake? any tricks to keep the girls staying put? Evertime I use a stick and chocolate the stick still breaks off.

12 replies
annie84 Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 1:25pm
post #2 of 13

Is the fondant still soft enough that you could stick toothpicks in it? If so, I would use a small piece of toothpick between the leg and the body and then use royal icing at the join to make sure it stays in place. I find royal tends to set better when I don't have much time to put together fondant figures. HTH!

pinky317 Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 2:38pm
post #3 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie84

Is the fondant still soft enough that you could stick toothpicks in it? If so, I would use a small piece of toothpick between the leg and the body and then use royal icing at the join to make sure it stays in place. I find royal tends to set better when I don't have much time to put together fondant figures. HTH!

Im pretty sure it will crack if I try to put toothpicks in it. As of right now it seems to be holding up ok. Im probably going to need to add hair to one of the girls because she is balding in the back lol

If I stick them on the cake with royal icing how long would it take for it to harden enough to deliver the cake?

annie84 Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 2:49pm
post #4 of 13

It should probably set completely within an hour or 2. I've never timed it... But I've always had the best luck using royal icing. New hair you won't have any problems with, it's the heavier objects (legs) that may cause you a bit of difficulty but I think you're going to be fine! Good luck!

Bskinne Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 2:58pm
post #5 of 13

Do you have candy melts or chocolate you can use to glue it together?

Edited to say: ok, I actually see that you tried to use sticks and chocolate...it's early! icon_smile.gif I would think that would definitely work to hold the body together and to hold the figures up, but how are the sticks attached to the body? Are they inserted in the figures before they are dried, or attached to the outside? It would be best to be inside but if you didn't do that, maybe just more chocolate and make sure it's hard before going on the cake?

pinky317 Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 4:28pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bskinne

Edited to say: ok, I actually see that you tried to use sticks and chocolate...it's early! icon_smile.gif I would think that would definitely work to hold the body together and to hold the figures up, but how are the sticks attached to the body? Are they inserted in the figures before they are dried, or attached to the outside? It would be best to be inside but if you didn't do that, maybe just more chocolate and make sure it's hard before going on the cake?

I have tried using skewers in the past before the fondant was dried and then when it dries it always seems to crack and the same goes for adding sticks after it dries to the outside and the chocolate never holds up. Maybe its the skewers? do you use something special?

Bskinne Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 4:52pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky317

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bskinne

I have tried using skewers in the past before the fondant was dried and then when it dries it always seems to crack and the same goes for adding sticks after it dries to the outside and the chocolate never holds up. Maybe its the skewers? do you use something special?

It always depends on the specific figure, but generally I put in a toothpick or dowel when I first make the figure; I don't always leave it in while it dries, as long as it has the hole it can be reinserted when it's dry. I also don't use fondant to make figures; I use 100% gumpaste. My last cake had two gumpaste figures on it (it's the Dora cake) and I was having cracking issues with Dora; I added a tiny bit of shortening and you can tell ahuge difference with the boots figure. It didn't crack at all, so maybe next time you should try that, too. But I made each part of the figure seperate, and put toothpicks in any place where something would be attached, making sure both sides had holes made in them; they anchored the pieces together while the gumpaste "glue" was drying.

Bskinne Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 4:55pm
post #8 of 13

And, this doesn't help much for this time, but if I was going to make a person, standing, I would form the legs by shaping gumpaste around dowels vs. Shoving a dowel in a already shaped leg or arm; this would prevent cracking.

Bskinne Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 4:56pm
post #9 of 13

And, this doesn't help much for this time, but if I was going to make a person, standing, I would form the legs by shaping gumpaste around dowels vs. Shoving a dowel in a already shaped leg or arm; this would prevent cracking.

Bskinne Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 4:58pm
post #10 of 13

Bskinne Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 4:59pm
post #11 of 13

Bskinne Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 4:59pm
post #12 of 13

pinky317 Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 7:30pm
post #13 of 13

Well so far so good!! Now lets hope it holds up in the car! Yikes... hands down the worst part of this hobby. Thank you so much for the tips! I learn something everytime I make a cake!!

I cant add pics to this post but you can check out my albulm and see the finished product.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%