Guide Rings For Rolling Pin

Decorating By suzied Updated 30 Aug 2016 , 7:22pm by soldiernurse

suzied Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzied Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 8:21am
post #1 of 11

Does anyone use the wilton guide rings to roll out fondant to cover a cake? The thickest is 3/16 which is slightly smaller than 1/4". or is there any other brand of guide rings that are better. Any tips on rolling out fondant evenly, please. thanks. is the correct thickness 1/4 inch??

10 replies
solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 9:10am
post #2 of 11

I have never used mine, they kept getting in the way, they are useless.

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 9:57am
post #3 of 11

Has anyone ever tried this rolling pin before? I just saw this in an article in the newspaper yesterday. This seems to do the same thing as the wilton rings for the rolling pin. HTH
www.williams-sonoma.com/products/joseph-joseph-adjustable-rolling-pin/?pkey=e|rolling%2Bpin|10|best|0|1|24||1&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARC

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 1:59pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by solascakes

I have never used mine, they kept getting in the way, they are useless.

I agree, hated them, too. When rolling out the fondant I couldn't always keep it in between the guides and so would end up with "track marks" and have to start over!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 2:08pm
post #5 of 11

Save yourself some money, use two wooden yardsticks if you have to have a guide. Personally I just eyeball it and call it a day.

lilscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilscakes Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 2:16pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Save yourself some money, use two wooden yardsticks if you have to have a guide. Personally I just eyeball it and call it a day.

Excellent idea bobwonderbuns! Thanks for the tip. sometimes it's the simple things that make you say "why didn't I think of that?" icon_biggrin.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 2:24pm
post #7 of 11

Of course I didn't buy the W brand rings, but I have a set and use them often. For rolling out cookie dough and fondant pieces that are too big to go thru the pasta machine or that I want thicker than the widest setting on the fondant machine. I really like them.

In culinary school the guides, aka yardsticks (my set are stainless steel) are called "candy bars." They are mostly used for getting a molten candy to a uniform depth before cutting.

bcarb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcarb Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 2:25pm
post #8 of 11

Oh Bobwonderbuns, you have my interest. Can you take a minute to explain how you would use 2 yardsticks, unless you just meant to manually measure the width at times with a ruler.
Thanks agiain for everyone's time.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 2:41pm
post #9 of 11

Well there's really nothing to it, just put a yardstick on either side and use those as the guides to rest the rolling pin on. The average yardstick is probably a touch less than 1/4 inch thick, which is good for fondant. (You can roll it thinner if you need to.) If you are wondering how to gauge thickness of fondant without a gauge, remember 1/4 inch is two nickles on top of each other, 1/8 inch is two dimes in top of each other. That will help you to eyeball it.

bcarb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcarb Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 3:04pm
post #10 of 11

Bobwonderbuns, thank you for the explaination, I was way off in my thinking. icon_lol.gif

soldiernurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soldiernurse Posted 30 Aug 2016 , 7:22pm
post #11 of 11

Quote by @bobwonderbuns on 11 Feb 2011 , 6:41am

Well there's really nothing to it, just put a yardstick on either side and use those as the guides to rest the rolling pin on. The average yardstick is probably a touch less than 1/4 inch thick, which is good for fondant. (You can roll it thinner if you need to.) If you are wondering how to gauge thickness of fondant without a gauge, remember 1/4 inch is two nickles on top of each other, 1/8 inch is two dimes in top of each other. That will help you to eyeball it.

Thx!! this was REALLY helpful!! as usual!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%