18Yo Boy Wants Chocolate Cake With Strawberry Frosting...

Decorating By dukeswalker Updated 15 Feb 2011 , 11:36pm by carmijok

dukeswalker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dukeswalker Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 11:58pm
post #1 of 12

Hmmmm....Sons best friend has requested a chocolate cake with strawberry buttercream (anyone have a crusting recipe for that one?) - he is in a band, plays guitar and is overall very musical. Any ideas??

11 replies
motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 12:04am
post #2 of 12

use your regular crusting recipoe and add strawberry jam or straberry flavor icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 12:33am
post #3 of 12

You can also use a little bit of unsweetened strawberry kool aid powder...it adds a pink color and the tartness...and then you can also add flavoring extract and the preserves as well.

Or you can take a bag of frozen strawberries and some sugar and cornstarch and make a strawberry sauce to blend into your icing.

dukeswalker Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 1:08am
post #4 of 12

What about design? I just cant seem to wrap my brain around a masculine *pink* cake! lol! But as the birthday boy says..."Pink is Shniz" icon_rolleyes.gif

Jennifer1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer1970 Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 10:02pm
post #5 of 12

How about just an "old fashioned" round birthday cake? You could put chocolate covered strawberries on the top for decoration. Simple and yummy!

Babarooskie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babarooskie Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 10:19pm
post #6 of 12

I agree with Jennifer... simple is always delicious. Along with the chocolate covered strawberries, you can also include a big chocolate piped trebel clef in the center of the cake for the music birthday boy.

sweetooth0510 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetooth0510 Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 10:35pm
post #7 of 12

You could make a sheet of music out of fondant and draw notes on it, I did one recently for my dad and googled 'happy birthday music score' and then copied the notes exactly, if he can read music then this might give me a wee chuckle. You could also make a fondant/sugarpaste guitar and have that sticking out of the centre of the cake.

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 10:44pm
post #8 of 12

My DH also likes strawberry BC and doesn't give a hoot that it's pink!

A guitar and/or music notes would be easy to do with fondant pieces or any of the image transfer methods (chocolate, FBCT, color flow, etc.)

dukeswalker Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 10:56pm
post #9 of 12

I ended up winging it with the frosting and it was YUMMY! I took my regular buttercream recipe and sort of added/tasted/added/tasted...I ended up putting in some strawberry Nestle syrup, some strawberry jam, some finely chopped fresh strawberries and even a little Nestle powdered strawberry drink mix...talk about a hodge podge! But it turned out DELISH!

I made him a round cake, iced in the strawberry buttercream, with a poured ganache drizzling over the top/sides. Then I put tuxedo dressed strawberries and white chocolate musical notes piled haphazardly in the center. He was thrilled and it didn't talk much time at all. (its in my pics)

I wanted to thank everyone for their help. I absolutely love these boards. I don't post a ton but I sure do lurk a lot! icon_biggrin.gif

baker101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baker101 Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 11:05pm
post #10 of 12

you could also use a strawberry flavouring oil such as the one made by LorAnn and than it tastes like strawberry but is white.

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 11:24pm
post #11 of 12

I say more power to the young man that knows what he likes and wants and is not threatened by the pink. there are too many of usthat still tend to think that boys can not be dressed in pink-like shirts for example, but I am learning that guys actually look quite good in pink if they know how to dress well anyway. I have met some very masculine men that look very good in pink and are not sheepish about wearing the color. So we need to keep remembering to applaud young men that aren't afraid to speak up about what they want even if it might mean it is a typically feminine color. I bet the cake was delicious.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 11:36pm
post #12 of 12

Saw your cake and it looks yummy...however next time place your strawberries so the stems are not facing out. You can't really see the tuxedo effect--and they're cute!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%