Why Doesn't Royal Icing Go Bad?

Decorating By zespri Updated 12 Feb 2011 , 6:08pm by MnSnow

zespri Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 11:42pm
post #1 of 9

How come it's OK to use royal icing decorations months after they're made? Why doesn't the raw egg content go bad?

8 replies
motherofgrace Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 12:07am
post #2 of 9

I use weringue powder. But I think its the amount of powered sugar that goes into it, that is a perservitave. I make potato candy (potato and icing sugar) and they dont go bad icon_smile.gif

cheatize Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 2:38am
post #3 of 9

Golly, I thought I was the only one who knew about potato candy!

Sorry, I dunno why. I supposed it's because everyone says they're not really meant to be eaten because they're so hard. However, I eat them; but I'm a sugar hound. I do know that my Royal, and I use meringue powder,too, does go bad. It gets musty tasting and smelling if left on the counter for more than a few days.

motherofgrace Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 2:50am
post #4 of 9

how do you store your potato candy Cheatize? Also I find that if my Royal is not stored air stight it gets watery and such

I mainly use Glace, which i have kept in the fridge for a month or so and it has been fine ")

Sorelle Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 2:53am
post #5 of 9

I read somewhere, I think the "Cake Bible" that sugar is it's own perservetive. Must be why Twinkies are good after 20 years!

cheatize Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 6:15am
post #6 of 9

It's usually on a plate so I wrap the plate in plastic wrap and it sits on the counter. It doesn't last very long so I've never tried to freeze it.

Gefion Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 7:33am
post #7 of 9

The thing that makes eggwhite go bad, is bacteria. Bacteria does not like sugar (nutcases!). When the royal dries, the water evaporates. Bacteria need water.

All sugar, no water = no bacteria = the dry decorations won't spoil.

zespri Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 8:29am
post #8 of 9

awesome, thanks guys!

What about listeria and salmonela though, are they classified as bacteria?

Correct... I really know NOTHING about germies!

MnSnow Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 6:08pm
post #9 of 9

Actually if you let unused royal sit long enough, it does grow mold.

If you are talking about decorations made with royal- they are dried, not wet. Wet promotes bacteria growth

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%