Need Help For Grandma's Chocolate Cake

Baking By Nicole0021 Updated 17 Feb 2011 , 1:36am by Bskinne

Nicole0021 Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 8:17pm
post #1 of 6

My 77 year old grandmother, who has never asked for anything from anyone, called me yesterday and asked me to make her a chocolate cake for her birthday. I have yet to find the perfect chocolate cake recipe so I'm asking for all of your help! I really want to hit this one out of the park for her. She deserves it! Thanks!
-Nicole

5 replies
cvoges Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 8:30pm
post #2 of 6
Bskinne Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 8:41pm
post #3 of 6

This is absolutely, hands down, the most fabulous chocolate cake ever! I had another recipe before this that I thought was perfect (and I've tried a lot) but this one is to die for! I think the coffee in it really makes the chocolate flavor stand out.
http://www.food.com/recipe/moist-and-rich-homemade-chocolate-cake-20112

Nicole0021 Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 6:16pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you so much for both recipes! i will be making one for Valentine's Day and the other for my sister's birthday on Tuesday to see which I like best. I'm not a coffee drinker so I've never put it in my cakes but I see so many recipes that call for it. Does the baked cake taste like coffee when it's all done? Thank you again for your responses!

Bskinne Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 6:31pm
post #5 of 6

No, it doesn't taste like coffee at all. It just amplifies the chocolate...it's incredible. Also, having both oil and butter in it keep it super moist, yet I've used it for shaped and stacked cakes. I use it as a base recipe for a lot of different variations. Last time, I cut back some of the sugar and used nutella mixed with the coffee, then filled with nutella frosting and roasted hazelnuts...people wouldn't quit talking about it.

Bskinne Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 1:36am
post #6 of 6

So how did your taste test go?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%