Baby Cake Topper Ideas

Decorating By Tclanton Updated 14 Feb 2011 , 3:30pm by Tclanton

Tclanton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tclanton Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 6:52pm
post #1 of 26

Good Afternoon all!!

I need your help please. I have searched through photos on this site and still nothing is jumping out at me. I made a two tier baby shower cake not long ago (in my photos) and its pictures have rendered two more orders.

The pic of the first cake has the baby from First Impression Molds. I loved this cake and the customer did as well, but I think it needs a little heighth on top. It just appears flat to me. I thought about a crib, etc, but nothing that I saw is striking my fancy.

Hope that some of you can help!!

TIA - Teresa

25 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 7:20pm
post #2 of 26

I don't think the topper is where you need height. Your top cake tier is too large. It's like you forgot to add the smallest top tier. icon_wink.gif I prefer my top tier to be no more than 7 inches in diameter. IMO, there shouldn't be much real estate on the very top to have to cover up.

I think you'll like the look much better if you do 3 smaller tiers rather than 2 large tiers.

Tclanton Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 7:28pm
post #3 of 26

Well, the customer picked this design, shape, dimensions etc. My next one is a 12 inch round - not tiered. That baby is going to get lost on a 12" round. Any suggestions?

DianeLM Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 8:04pm
post #4 of 26

Well, if the customer liked it, that's all that matters. If I had a customer ask for an 8 and 10 inch, for example, I would explain how that might not look so great and offer alternatives. After all, I'm the expert. If they insist, then I'll do it their way, but at least they were warned. icon_smile.gif

A 12-inch single tier is more like a sheet cake, so height isn't so much of an issue. However, if you still want to add height, how about a stand-up crescent moon? You could place the baby at the base of the moon and add stars and clouds. Or put the baby in a cloud. icon_smile.gif

Tclanton Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 8:45pm
post #5 of 26

Thats an awesome idea - the customers only other specifications are polka dots in dark pink, light pink and brown. I think I can work in the moon, but not sure about stars and circles - your thoughts?

DianeLM Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 9:34pm
post #6 of 26

You could do the polka dots on the sides along with a couple of small stars to tie in the theme on the top.

Maybe the baby could be laying on a polka dot blanket, too.

Tclanton Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 9:38pm
post #7 of 26

Oh ok - sounds good. Stars on wires? Or flat upon the top?

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 10:03pm
post #8 of 26

I made this crib for the topper of a baby shower cake for this weekend and it was canceled. If I thought it would make the trip I'd send it to you. It's such a shame it's going to waste. But maybe the crib design will inspire you.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1911234/1912679

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 10:07pm
post #9 of 26

It isn't stars, but I did one a little while ago with the baby mold...... I also used a hand mold that I found on e-bay, and placed the baby in it...... the final had a little embellished fondant blanket on it...... It looks a little washed out in the picture, but in person it was really cute....... The writing on the cake said " From God's hand to ours".... It was the ladies from her
church that gave her the shower so everything tied in together..

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1889154

DianeLM Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 10:19pm
post #10 of 26

I think stars on wires along with some flat stars would be nice.

artscallion - That crib is beyond adorable! I hate canceled baby showers. I worry.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 10:49pm
post #11 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

artscallion - That crib is beyond adorable! I hate canceled baby showers. I worry.

A week before the shower we were doing, we got a cancellation call. Then a few days later we got another call, baby came early and the shower was still on, but delayed a week. Since she was a girl, I'm guessing she heard about her party and gifts and wanted to be there in person.... princess.gif

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 11:20pm
post #12 of 26

Here are some stars on wires that I think are nice.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25863947@N05/4168508888/

DianeLM Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 11:24pm
post #13 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

A week before the shower we were doing, we got a cancellation call. Then a few days later we got another call, baby came early and the shower was still on, but delayed a week. Since she was a girl, I'm guessing she heard about her party and gifts and wanted to be there in person.... princess.gif

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Tclanton Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 1:26pm
post #14 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

I made this crib for the topper of a baby shower cake for this weekend and it was canceled. If I thought it would make the trip I'd send it to you. It's such a shame it's going to waste. But maybe the crib design will inspire you.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1911234/1912679

OMG - I love that crib. Can you easily tell me how you made that. If it is really detailed, please dont worry. I wish I could twitch my nose and have it in front of me it is adorable.

Tclanton Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 1:30pm
post #15 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

Here are some stars on wires that I think are nice.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25863947@N05/4168508888/

Those are very cute!!!

artscallion Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 6:13pm
post #16 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tclanton

OMG - I love that crib. Can you easily tell me how you made that. ...

I looked online for a woodworking pattern for building a crib, modified it, printed it out to make a template which I used to cut the pieces out of gumpaste. Then I used cutters to cut out the hearts and things. I cut strips of gumpaste to apply to the corners to make them look more like posts, them put squished balls on top with unsquished balls on top of that that I painted with gold highlight mixed with vodka.

I glued it together with a paste made of gumpaste mashed in some water. Then I made a mattress out of rice krispies treats covered with gumpaste sheets. The bear and pillow are just made of gumpaste. The blanket is rolled gumpaste that I pressed with a regular block of white Styrofoam. Not sure if you can tell from the photo but it gives it a great little woolley blanket texture.

Hope this is clear. feel free to PM me any questions if you attempt it.

Tclanton Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 7:07pm
post #17 of 26

Looking now for plans - hopefully I can find something.

Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 7:24pm
post #18 of 26

Here's a link from another CC'ers picture:
http://cakecentral.com//gallery/1926927
I absolutely fell in love with the idea of the little birds waiting for the egg to hatch and have made my own version to top a baby shower cake for this weekend. I'm so excited to do something different from the usual crib/bottle/baby/pacifier/etc..etc... I can't wait to post the picture tomorrow!

Tclanton Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 7:33pm
post #19 of 26

Too funny - I have that same photo in my favorites!!! Good luck with it and make sure you post you finished cake for us to see.

artscallion Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 7:43pm
post #20 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tclanton

Looking now for plans - hopefully I can find something.

These are the plans I started from, obviously not as elaborate. Eliminated the rocking part as I thought it would be too fragile/unstable.

http://www.craftsmanspace.com/free-projects/rocking-baby-cradle-plan.html

Tclanton Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 7:59pm
post #21 of 26

Thank you - I have them now. Woohoo, now if I could just get off of work to go and play it would be great!!!!

poky6676 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poky6676 Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 2:12am
post #22 of 26

The last baby shower cake I made I used the small 3d teddy bear pan. it was easy and looked great the Mother to be and family loved it.

Corrie76 Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 9:28pm
post #23 of 26

I just posted my baby shower cake with the little birds, the mom-to-be just loved it and said she was going to freeze the topper and keep it forever, lol!
http://cakecentral.com//gallery/1939493

Tclanton Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 1:28pm
post #24 of 26

Madame Raz - you did an awesome job - I love it. What did you make your nest from?

Corrie76 Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 2:55pm
post #25 of 26

I wanted to use pretzel sticks and chocolate, but only had regular pretzels handy so I broke them up added them to melted chocolate chips and then put the whole mess over a small bowl covered in greased tinfoil. I added butterscotch chips to the mix, hoping for a lighter shade of brown but the nest still came out dark...oh well! Next time, I'm going to use more pretzels as the chocolate was a little too much around the edges.

Tclanton Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 3:30pm
post #26 of 26

You did an awesome job! I love it!! I still havent decided on mine this weekend, but I might try my hand at making a basinet, without the hood on it. That way you can see the baby!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%