Having A Legitimate Home Business

Business By HeavenlySweets1226 Updated 11 Feb 2011 , 8:31pm by AmysCakesNCandies

HeavenlySweets1226 Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 5:49pm
post #1 of 8

I've been reading through this forum and learning a lot. So to legally run a cake decorating business from your home you have to have your kitchen certified, and a license? Any info. on this topic would be helpful, I looked at teh forum about home businesses being legal in certain states and NC is legal, but I just don't know where to go from here. Thanks

7 replies
sari66 Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 8:02pm
post #2 of 8

Hi heavenlysweets, the dept of ag takes cake of home kitchen inspections here in NC call them and they will send you a packet of information on what is required. Also call your local and/or city government offices to see if you need a license to operate. You're also going to need a sales tax id, ein if you have employees and you should form an LLC at some point to protect other assets. A lawyer is a big help as is an account or cpa.

Good luck and welcome!

HeavenlySweets1226 Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 12:30pm
post #3 of 8

great thx! No employees, it's just me, but i guess i'm wondering should my business grow to a certain size (a certain amt of income/year) before I set all of these things in place?

HeavenlySweets1226 Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 12:37pm
post #4 of 8

great thx! No employees, it's just me, but i guess i'm wondering should my business grow to a certain size (a certain amt of income/year) before I set all of these things in place?

Katiebelle74 Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 2:28pm
post #5 of 8

for me in charlotte it's register biz name, biz license, a one time fee to the zoning office, dept. of ag. inspection (however they do not give you anything to show/hang on the wall). I do not have employees nor a lawyer as of yet so sole proprietor for now, LLC in the future. Wondering if I should have gotten a separate tax id, but for now just filing it under my ssn. For your biz bank account they will want to see the papers where you registered your biz name ("fictitious name document" as the bank likes to call it). And make sure you know the amount of tax to charge in your area. Here it is 9.25%

Katiebelle74 Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 2:59pm
post #6 of 8

for me in charlotte it's register biz name, biz license, a one time fee to the zoning office, dept. of ag. inspection (however they do not give you anything to show/hang on the wall). I do not have employees nor a lawyer as of yet so sole proprietor for now, LLC in the future. Wondering if I should have gotten a separate tax id, but for now just filing it under my ssn. For your biz bank account they will want to see the papers where you registered your biz name ("fictitious name document" as the bank likes to call it). And make sure you know the amount of tax to charge in your area. Here it is 9.25%

sari66 Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 8:04pm
post #7 of 8

Nope you should get started as soon as you feel you are ready to start selling.

AmysCakesNCandies Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 8:31pm
post #8 of 8

You might want to read the NC tax code closely for the proper sales tax amount. There is a provision in the sales tax code that accounts for "Artisian Bakeries", if your bussinees qualifies then you will only need to charge the lower food tax rate. Sales tax can be pretty confusing- personally since I do baked goods, cakes & candies I have different rates I need to charge depending on what it is; and you never charge tax on rentals or delivery.

The insection process was pretty easy, they wanted a bussiness plan written and sent in before inspection. At inspection they were looking at basic sanitation, storage of supplies, access to hand washing sinks, easily cleanable surfaces, no pets etc. I also had to get shatterproof light bulbs for my kitchen (I got them a 1000 bulbs.com). They have the food safety code online on thier websie, if you are unfamiliar with food safety regulations you might want to read it over- not everything will apply to you, but it should give you a pretty good idea of what they will be looking for.

Also, if you live in a rural area and have well water the dept. of agriculture requires a well water test, it cost me $100, but its a 1 time thing.

I am currently a sole prprietor, will become an LLC when bussiness dictates it. I think it was $45 to regidter by bussiness with the county

Hope this helps. Good luck starting your new bussiness

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%