Candy Clay

Decorating By scotias3 Updated 10 Feb 2011 , 11:58pm by Loucinda

scotias3 Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 4:24pm
post #1 of 9

I am doing a 3D truck cake and I dont want to use fondant. Has anyone covered cakes in candy clay?

8 replies
Reimagining_Confections Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 4:50pm
post #2 of 9

I am still practicing with candy clay. I made my own using Colette Peters recipe. I find the stuff very hard after the resting time. With my gym work out for the day(kneading the stuff) it becomes nice and pliable but still kinda oily. I have blotted it as some suggested which works in the short term. I find you need to work fast because it dries faster than I would have thought. i used it to cover RKT skate I am working on so i could merge a (remote control truck base- I will explaing that later when I post my pick- trying to get skates wheels to turn) and needed something to seam the RKT to the frame. It worked great. Much like play dough.

As far as rolling it to cover cake(you would still need to work quickly, but I have fears of cracking, elephant skinning, etc). Would need to be rolled thin, but them be careful not to rip.

I like that it sticks to itself (like clay). So it has its uses. I need to buy some pre-made(Choco-Pan?) and see how it works compared to my homemade product. i like MMF with chocolate (white or dark mixed in). Taste great and is nice and pliable.

I am sure more experienced decorators can help you- just thought i would give my recent experience. Anyone else notice how I talk too long in these posts(must be no adults and nothing but a 2 year old in the home most of the day).

Good luck

Giovanna68 Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 5:13pm
post #3 of 9

i have made my own before also and found it hard to make..where can you buy it as i cant seem to find any place

Reimagining_Confections Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 5:27pm
post #4 of 9

I am going to try to go to a cake show in Annandale, VA (National Capital Area Cake Show or something like that). They have lots of vendors, so I am hoping to find some there. I think Choco-Pan is one brand-anyone else know what we are looking for?

Renaejrk Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 8:57pm
post #5 of 9

I watched a lady on tv that used a hair drier to warm it a bit to make it more pliable and smooth to get a nice finish, and also to help sculpt. Haven't tried it yet but interested! I make my own and one tip is to get your chocolate and corn syrup to the same temp, warm, a little above room temp I think? And don't overmix. I have mixed results depending on the chocolate I use.

metria Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 9:20pm
post #6 of 9

i've recently experimented with 50/50 modeling chocolate/fondant for wrapping cakes and like it very much. so i don't cover the cakes like i would fondant, but i've been cutting out panels that i wrap or attach to the cake.

Reimagining_Confections Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 9:37pm
post #7 of 9

Great tip= warm the corn syrup to a comparable temp. of the melted choc. i also heard it makes a difference if it is candy melts(merkens, wilton) or actual choc. The corn syrup ratio is different.

what do you get better results with melts or choc./

Renaejrk Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 10:54pm
post #8 of 9

I get better results - less oils - with the melts. There was a lady on CC that makes the modeling chocolate Duff uses - I would have to go back and find where she posted it but basically gave awesome info on it, but you really need REAL white chocolate and not the cheap store bought stuff, and glucose instead of cheaper corn syrup by the instructions she gave, but that is difficult for me to do.

I kind of have to play with how much corn syrup, and I have had better results with nestle than ghirardelli - funny huh? I need more corn syrup when I use ghirardelli - maybe it has more solids in it. 2 times in a row I used ghirardelli and it was crumbly and took forever to be able to use it, then the last time I added more corn syrup and it was better.

Also, if you make real chocolate (brown) the milk chocolate seems to work better for me than dark or semi-sweet - you would really have to up the corn syrup for the dark or semi-sweet.

Loucinda Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 11:58pm
post #9 of 9

Make sure your corn syrup is 100% corn syrup - there are some cheap brands that have water added, and they do not work as well. I prefer to use glucose.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%