My Bride Just Cancelled - Now What?

Decorating By kristanashley Updated 11 Feb 2011 , 12:48pm by ChilliPepper

kristanashley Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 2:25pm
post #1 of 16

I just got an email from the bride saying the wedding is off, can she cancel her order. The wedding is in 9 days! She's already paid in full, and I have already purchased everything that I need - ingredients, special pans, ribbon, molds, etc. but I haven't started making anything yet. My contract says that I keep the 50% deposit if the wedding is cancelled, but that money barely covers the cost of everything I've put into this cake already, not to mention the time I spent preparing and planning, and the 2 cakes I've turned down for that weekend. icon_sad.gif What do your contracts state about brides who cancel so close to the date? I'm a little taken aback... they were such a happy couple... icon_sad.gif

15 replies
indydebi Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 2:34pm
post #2 of 16

My contract stated all monies paid were non-refundable and my contract required all orders be paid 2 weeks prior to the event. A 9-day cancellation meant I kept the money and got a paid day off.

I think you're going to be hard pressed to collect the balance. She may be an exception, but dont' be surprised.

kristanashley Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 2:51pm
post #3 of 16

She's already paid in full. But this is exactly what my contract says:

RETAINER: Upon your signature and deposit, Cake-A-Doodle-Do will reserve the time and date agreed upon, and will not make other reservations for that time and date. For this reason, a retainer of 50% is non-refundable, even if the date is changed or the wedding cancelled for any reason; including acts of God, fire, medical emergency, and/or extreme weather. The retainer is to be paid at time of ordering. The retainer is applied towards the contracted cake. THE CLIENT understands and agrees that the entire amount owed for the final product as described in the contract is due 2 weeks prior to the wedding date on___________________ .

So I have to give her 50% back right? I am changing the wording for future contracts fo sho!

3GCakes Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 2:57pm
post #4 of 16

Do you think you might be able to talk her into going ahead with the cake and donating it or using it to celebrate something else?

I'd rather go ahead and pay for something (even if it's not for its intended purpose) than to pay for half of it and get nothing.

I'd give her the option. Either way, I wouldn't refund the money if the contract states it doesn't get refunded.

But I would give her the option to get something, rather than nothing.

grama_j Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 3:05pm
post #5 of 16

I would charge her the 50% and then make a detailed list of items you bought for her cake, tell her that ALSO will be added to the 50%, and if there is anything left, it is hers....... condolences to BOTH of you....... icon_cry.gif

ChRiStY_71 Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 3:07pm
post #6 of 16

She agreed to your sounds like you would be obligated to refund her the difference.

cheatize Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 3:17pm
post #7 of 16

It looks straight-forward to me. Your contract says 50% is non-refundable so you give her back 50%. To do otherwise puts you in breach of the contract.

alvarezmom Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 3:17pm
post #8 of 16

Reading what your contract states you keep the deposit (50%)! You don't state anything about the remainder so it could be left up for argument. Can you keep the molds and use them for something different? If so then you could chalk that up to new supplies.

I'm really sorry. I agree with your statement about changing your contract to include any cancellations 2 weeks prior to the cake date you will be keeping ALL money paid!

TexasSugar Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 3:21pm
post #9 of 16

Your contract states that she would get 50% back, both of you signed it and that is the amount that you have to honor.

As far as spending more than the 50%? Sometimes we have to chalk things up to lessons in life. For this lesson you have learned that 50% isn't enough.

Can you return any of the items, such as the ribbon? As far as the pans and molds, did you buy those with the ideas that you could use them for future cakes? If so, then to me they are just a cost of doing business. If you bought them specificly for her cake knowing you'll never use them for anything else, then that cost probably should have been included in an up charge from the beginning. As far as the ingredients go, can you use them for other cake orders or freeze them?

cakegirl1973 Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 3:28pm
post #10 of 16

My contract states that all monies paid above and beyond the non-refundable deposit become nonrefundable 6 weeks before the wedding and then it states that date. I borrowed this language from Earlenes Cakes.

I agree that your contract language seems to be ambiguous as to whether the bride is due a refund for the amount over her initial deposit. Talk with her, explain your situation, and see what you can work out.

kristanashley Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 3:36pm
post #11 of 16

Thanks guys. I'm just going to give her the 50% without any discussion. That's what the contract says - though not anymore. icon_smile.gif I can definitely use the pans and molds again - I was prepared to absorb that cost to begin with... Lesson learned. Contract changed. icon_smile.gif

Jenniferkay Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 8:45pm
post #12 of 16

it states 50% of the retainer...not 50% of contracted cake. only money owed back is the 50% RETAINER not all monies paid.

AileenGP Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 9:08pm
post #13 of 16

No... I read that the retainer is 50% and is non-refundable, NOT 50% of the retainer is non-refundable.

AileenGP Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 9:11pm
post #14 of 16

No... I read that the retainer is 50% and is non-refundable, NOT 50% of the retainer is non-refundable.

Kristan.. look on the bright side, at least it covered the materials you ordered and you haven't made anything yet - and now you learned to change the contract before there was a situation that made you lose money with cakes bakes/items made...

Jenniferkay Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 9:12pm
post #15 of 16

ok, i get it. after i reread it a few more times. time to change your contract I think.

ChilliPepper Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 12:48pm
post #16 of 16

Don't refund under any circumstances. 9 days notice is far too late to be cancelling, particularly as you have had to order in special shaped tins etc.

Some people may think I am being too hard faced about this but the truth of the matter is that it is not your fault that the wedding has been cancelled.

Put the shoe on the other foot - do you think if you had some sort of disaster, eg dropping one of the tiers the day before, that they would let you off the hook? I think not and you would have spent the next 24 hours producing another cake.

Stay strong and stick to your guns - no refund!

CP xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%