Help With Attaching Fondant Panel To Side Of Cake.

Decorating By winny01 Updated 11 Feb 2011 , 11:34pm by metria

winny01 Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 11:31am
post #1 of 6

I am making a hollister bag for a friend. What is the best way to attach the fondant? I was thinking of cutting the fondant in four sections and attaching each seperatly, but I have visions of it peeling off. I was also wondering about refrigerating this cake. I am worried about transport. because it is tall and narrow. I have it doweled it but if I frig. this cake will the fondant panels slide off? Thanks for any advise you can give me.

5 replies
Nusi Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 11:42am
post #2 of 6

as long as you have Buttercreamed the cake the fondant will stick dont worry,, the only thing is that dont frig the buttercreamed cake then put the fondant panels on cause the buttercream will crust and wont stick to the fondant.
u can fridg is afterwards althought if ur in a humid area i suggest u dont.. cause fondant looooooves to suck on the mousture in the air.

LaniLee Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 10:38pm
post #3 of 6

*hijacking* So what you're saying is that if a piece of fondant, cut to a shape or the shape of the cake, is put onto a cake already covered in buttercream, there *should* be no worries of it falling off? I'm hoping that's what you're saying! thumbs_up.gif

I'm planning on making a smash cake for my 1 year old and using fondant to make a 2D monkey face to put on the side of the cake. I was concerned it'd peel or slide off. I don't want to cover the entire cake with fondant because he would have trouble smashing it!

Cargal Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 11:23pm
post #4 of 6

If the bc has crusted, you can put piping gel on to get the fondant to stick. If it's a really large piece of fondant on the side of a cake, you could use royal icing to glue it.

sillywabbitz Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 11:34pm
post #5 of 6

Melted chocolate can also be used to attach and is great for attaching the two panels. I highly recommend Sugarshacks Boxes and bows DVD she walks you through all different techniques and this includes creating panels in advance and then attaching them to the cake.

metria Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 11:34pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaniLee

*hijacking* So what you're saying is that if a piece of fondant, cut to a shape or the shape of the cake, is put onto a cake already covered in buttercream, there *should* be no worries of it falling off? I'm hoping that's what you're saying! thumbs_up.gif

I'm planning on making a smash cake for my 1 year old and using fondant to make a 2D monkey face to put on the side of the cake. I was concerned it'd peel or slide off. I don't want to cover the entire cake with fondant because he would have trouble smashing it!

make sure your little darlin' doesn't get a hold of that monkey. i'm worried he/she won't be able to work down a piece of fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%