Newbie Cricut Problem

Decorating By Tarina-rina Updated 16 Feb 2011 , 1:19pm by CGoguen

Tarina-rina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tarina-rina Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 9:56am
post #1 of 16

Is there an option to using the Circuit frosting sheets? They work as soon as you take one out of the package if you put an extra space between each letter or design but when you try the next sheet no matter how quickly you close it and no matter how hard you press to seal the sheets just crack into a million pieces. Has anyone used hand rolled fondant. I am afraid to try as it may not be thin enough and get all stuck in the machine. It is a very tricky machine and it seems I don't know all the tricks or something. I feel maybe I wasted a whole lot of money. I have cricut expression also for scrap booking and it is wonderful. But the one for cakes .... I need help> Anyone out there ... can you help me? thanks in advance

15 replies
ljdills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljdills Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 10:16am
post #2 of 16

I use fondant and gumpaste in my cricut. After rolling out fondant on mat, place in freezer for a few minutes.

Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 11:37am
post #3 of 16

When I bought mine, the lady told me to make sure I put those frosting sheets in the freezer also. I still have some cracking, but not like with not freezing them.

Starkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starkie Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 11:39am
post #4 of 16

ljdills, what settings do you use for your Cricut? And do you have the Cricut Cake or the Expressions? I haven't had much success with my Cricut Personal machine, so I'm always on the lookout for threads with more info.

Tarina, I haven't used the frosting sheets. Can you cover them up between usings?

HaydenSC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HaydenSC Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 11:39am
post #5 of 16

I was about to drop kick my Cricut Expression and stumbled upon some good advice on Linda McClure's blog. She has made DVDs and has taught lots of classes on using the Cricut for cake decorating. She has advice about how to treat the gumpaste, the gumpaste recipe and other helpful tips on her blog.

luvstoshop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvstoshop Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 12:57pm
post #6 of 16

The fondant or gumpaste needs to be rolled
paper thin then set aside for about 10 minutes
to dry, but has to be very very thin.

genevieveyum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
genevieveyum Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 2:04pm
post #7 of 16

I have found that freezing really helps- you don't have to roll that thin if you freeze it!

Tarina-rina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tarina-rina Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 2:07pm
post #8 of 16

Hi Starkie. Yes they come is a zip lock bag. I took out one sheet and closed the bag running my hand over it at the end to make sure I got all of the air out. The first sheet was not as bad but if did not stay in place. then reading to put Crisco on the back of the sheet so I had it on the mat as I had read somewhere else that got damaged too. Next I tried bigger objects with much more space between. At this point they cut better but over have the sheet was wasted but i was able to put my Great Grand sons name on the cake and a few Mickey heads around the bottom layer. Then I hand cut some stars and put them around the small layer at the top. The cake was very nice but it took 7 hours because of all the Cricuit problems. I need a little know how assistance. I don't know anyone who can help me. I had a shoulder replacement in October so I thought that this machine was going to make my cake like better for me. If you come across any helpful info please pass them my way. I am going to try to attach my cake to this form. I am new at this and also new with Fondant. this was my very first cake. I will try to show it to you. If not maybe I will be able to email it to you. Let me try to figure this out. I am trying to also figure out this Cake Central too. Thanks so muck. You are so sweet!!

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 9:15pm
post #9 of 16

Thin, stiff gumpaste and stick it in the freezer is what I have heard - still need to play with mine more!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 9:38am
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenSC

I was about to drop kick my Expression and stumbled upon some good advice on Linda McClure's blog. She has made DVDs and has taught lots of classes on using the for cake decorating. She has advice about how to treat the gumpaste, the gumpaste recipe and other helpful tips on her blog.

This is the best advice you will get. I've taken her class and have been using my cricut with great success. Rolling the material very thin and letting it set is the key. Much cleaner cuts then the freezing method.

Starkie Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 11:41am
post #11 of 16

Let me ask something here. I have th eLinda McClure DVD, and I have tried her method ~ rolling the gumpaste really thin (like paper), using a thin coat of Crisco on my mat, and letting the gumpaste sit for about 15 minutes before I cut. I am using the deep housing blade, and medium pressure and speed (I have played with that relentlessly!), and I STILL get ragged edges on most of my piecees. I would say only about 20% of the stuff I cut out is usable. Is that everyone else's experiece? Is there anything else I could be doing to increase my success rate?

Starkie Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 11:42am
post #12 of 16

Let me ask something here. I have th eLinda McClure DVD, and I have tried her method ~ rolling the gumpaste really thin (like paper), using a thin coat of Crisco on my mat, and letting the gumpaste sit for about 15 minutes before I cut. I am using the deep housing blade, and medium pressure and speed (I have played with that relentlessly!), and I STILL get ragged edges on most of my piecees. I would say only about 20% of the stuff I cut out is usable. Is that everyone else's experiece? Is there anything else I could be doing to increase my success rate?

tiggy2 Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 11:55am
post #13 of 16

Letting it set 15 minutes is not long enough. Are you using her gumpaste or something else (if so what)? How thin are you rolling it? Did you look at her blogspot? All of her information is there, step by step.

Starkie Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 11:58am
post #14 of 16

WOO HOO!!!!! I had GREAT success with my Cricut yesterday! Letting the GP sit overnight was definitely the trick. Using the Cricut will take a bit more planning than I thought, but the results are beautiful! Thanks, Tiggy2, for the advice!

tiggy2 Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 1:09pm
post #15 of 16

Glad it worked for you. Linda's method really is the key to success.

CGoguen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CGoguen Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 1:19pm
post #16 of 16

I have never had any issues with mine. Using the blade that came with it, medium pressure and medium speed. I just roll it thin and put it in the freezer for 5-10 minutes before use.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%