Pricing For Just Figurine

Decorating By erikamj Updated 10 Mar 2011 , 3:11pm by erikamj

erikamj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erikamj Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 4:30am
post #1 of 8

I have a customer that wants to buy just a figurine from me but I am not sure how much to charge. It is going to be a little girls in the splits in a body suit. She is going to be on a spring and going on to a cake that is shaped likea trampoline.
What do you charge for just figurines?

7 replies
sebrina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sebrina Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 4:42am
post #2 of 8

Hmm... Why aren't they getting the whole cake form you? icon_confused.gif

sebrina Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 4:44am
post #3 of 8

Ugh. FROM you! I think it's my bed time... icon_lol.gif

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 5:18am
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebrina

Hmm... Why aren't they getting the whole cake from you? icon_confused.gif

That's the same question I was asking...is she buying the figurine to put on top of a cake she's making? or what is she gonna do with it. IDK
I would follow the 3X rule. Charge 3X what it took to make it. & definitely include time in the price not just for the materials

JenFailla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenFailla Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 1:50pm
post #5 of 8

I have seen a similar question on here before- and the response that stuck with me was something to the effect of: If you make this figure, and the client buys a cheapo cake from walmart or costco, and puts your figure on it. The figure will be the focus of the cake (and quite adorable I'm sure) and then when people ask about it- i'm sure the client will tell them you did it- they probably won't want to admit the truth and say "i was too cheap to buy the whole cake from her and just had her do the top". It could reflect poorly on your work if someone likes your topper but hates the cake (and assumes you did it). JMHO. Good luck with whatever works best for you! icon_smile.gif

sebrina Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 2:24pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenFailla

If you make this figure, and the client buys a cheapo cake from walmart or costco, and puts your figure on it.
It could reflect poorly on your work if someone likes your topper but hates the cake (and assumes you did it).

Yeah that was my thoughts on it too! I have some cute little figurines made for a baby shower this weekend. I wouldn't want them to go on top of a cake that didn't taste good. icon_sad.gif
Now if she's baking her own, that would be something different. Cause she would be proud enough of her own cake to share that she took part. Then I might consider selling it. Maybe... LOL!
I'd go with the 3x rule as well. Plus time. Just like platinumlady said.
Good luck!

strathmore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strathmore Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 8:54pm
post #7 of 8

Hmm I will be following this thread as I have a hard time with this also. Most of the work I have been doing lately is 3d figures and since they are inidividual figures one can take several hours/days to make. I watch on utube and the like and if they can do them in 5 minutes why does it take me 2 hours to make 1 teddy bear icon_cry.gif And I see others on the internet selling them for $5-$8 I can't work out how they make anything on it over ingredients/materials

erikamj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erikamj Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 3:11pm
post #8 of 8

She was making her own cake for her daughter. I sold the figurine for $25. It was a very easy one and it did not take me that long at all this time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%