If I'm Using A Real Barbie With The Dress Cake Pan

Decorating By musicmommy2 Updated 28 Feb 2011 , 6:16am by MelissaMay

musicmommy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
musicmommy2 Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 4:02am
post #1 of 14

will I need some round cake layers beneath it to be the correct height? I just thought I'd check. I'm borrowing the pan so don't have it in front of me, but wondered if there was a standard pan usage when using a real barbie instead of those little half body ones. I wasn't going to put it on any other size cake beneath it, so was hoping to make it all look like a dress. Thanks in advance.

13 replies
crystal18_corpus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystal18_corpus Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 4:27am
post #2 of 14

if you are using the wilton wonder mold pan you can put a six inch round and that will be very close to the size you need for the length of the barbie i think a single layer 6 inch will be fine it will look like the skirt

hth

The_Puzzler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Puzzler Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 4:52am
post #3 of 14

I did that as well. The Wilton Wonder Mold pan is too short for a regular Barbie doll.

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 5:56am
post #4 of 14

'The standard Barbie is 11 1/2 inches tall...just completed a Barbie cake this past week...I ended up with a 17 inch tall cake and it was perfect!...Made 6 layers of cake before I carved her skirt...covered in buttercream and fondant...make sure you use Press 'n Seal to cover Barbie's body before you put her in the cake...seals her perfectly!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 6:27am
post #5 of 14

I always use a regular barbie. I use the wonder mold and make a 2"h 8"round cake layer to make it work. Yes, be sure to wrap the doll's body. and make a hole in the top of the cake. Just use a sharp knife and make this hole. If you don,t , it sometimes will crack the cake , when trying to put the doll in. Good Luck.

MelissaMay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelissaMay Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 6:49am
post #6 of 14

WOW! what perfect timing! I am making a Barbie cake this weekend for my daughters 3rd Birthday. I am using a real Belle doll and I really never thought about the height for the wonder mold pan. Thank you all for your help!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 2:09pm
post #7 of 14

I always add an extra 2 inch layer underneath the wondermold pan as the Barbie is too tall.

sccandwbfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sccandwbfan Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 2:22pm
post #8 of 14

Well, not having the forethought to come and ask this question, when I did mine, I had a board upder the wonder mold. I had a 10" cake under it that wasn't going to look like part of the dress. Imagine my surprise when Barbie didn't fit all the way in. icon_biggrin.gif So, my cake wasn't being covered with fondant because they didn't want it that way, so I built the dress up with buttercream. She stayed in place and I didn't think to wrap her up. Oy! I bet that was fun for the folks that are now the owners of the Barbie(c) icon_smile.gif

Christy

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 2:29pm
post #9 of 14

I use a 6/7/8 and before stacking, take a cookie cutter and punch a hole out of the center of each so I don't have to dig. What little bit of carving I have to do, I add to the top to make a "bell" shaped cake. It's always tall enough.

WhiskMeAwayCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WhiskMeAwayCakes Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 6:10pm
post #10 of 14

I did not use the Wilton one, but the Magic Mold pan that is about 7 or so inches tall. I used a real doll (a Tinkerbell but the same size as Barbies) and it stuck in just fine, did not have to use any extra cake underneath. I have a pic in my photos of it, I just put the doll in up to its waist.

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 7:42pm
post #11 of 14

you do not have to carve out a whole for Barbie...I take my bubble tea straws that I use for my stacked cakes and put it down in the middle, lift it out, and there is a small hole that will hold Barbie erect. The small hole also keeps the cakes from coming apart. A too large hole is just as bad as none at all...

Bubbl3h3ad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bubbl3h3ad Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 8:09pm
post #12 of 14

Oh man that barbie is TALL! I think I made 6 cakes to get it tall enough for my barbie.

SugarRushIowa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarRushIowa Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 7:06pm
post #13 of 14

I have someone requesting a Barbie cake. Sound like some use the pan, then make an extra cake, and some make multiple cakes.

Being frugal...which one takes less cake batter to produce? Or is it 6 one way, 1/2 dozen the other?

Thanks!

MelissaMay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelissaMay Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 6:16am
post #14 of 14

So...I made the Belle doll cake and even with the cake added to the bottom she was still too tall! So...I took her legs off and attached a dowel to her torso with the saran that I wrapped her in....cut a hole in the cake and stuck her in...filled the hole with some cake and BC and she stayed put! (pic is in my profile)...Thanks for the heads up everyone...I totally didn't even think of that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%