Transfat Free Frosting Issues

Baking By Crazycakelady Updated 10 Feb 2011 , 6:15pm by brensmom12

Crazycakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazycakelady Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 2:44am
post #1 of 5

I have been doing cakes for years. I opened my business last year. I live in California and this year they passed a law that we can't use products that contain Transfat. I have been a diehard sweetex user and have always had outstanding results with it. Now I am having to play with crisco/butter combinations and I have yet to find one that gives me the durability that Sweetex does. Have any of my fellow deocrators come up with a solution that works well for them? I have used indydeb's recipe, but I still find it to be too soft for the climate/area that we live in. Any input/ideas are greatly appreciated and welcomed. icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 3:07am
post #2 of 5

What do you mean by too soft? Too soft: add more powdered sugar.
Do you mean it melts in the heat?

retaunton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
retaunton Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 3:11am
post #3 of 5

Doesn't Sweetex make a trans fat free version specifically for use in California?

Crazycakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazycakelady Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 5:53pm
post #4 of 5

By too soft, I mean that the frosting is literally see through and when adding powdered sugar, it only makes the frosting grainy. The frosting will literally pull away from the sides of the cake and-or droop or sag. Sweetex does offer a transfat free version, however at this time, none of my vendors have access to it. From what I have heard from my reps, the Sweetex also has a horrible after taste. Never used it, so I can't say one way or the other. Was just curious if any ofmy fellow deocrators out there had run in to this issue and had discovered a resolve for it...Thanks again in advance for your help/guidance. icon_biggrin.gif

brensmom12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brensmom12 Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 6:15pm
post #5 of 5

If you mean too soft do you really mean not crusting? I had that problem then added cornstarch to my recipe and WOW did it helpicon_smile.gif I live in a high humidity area and have no problems with it "melting". I add 3 Tbsp. of cornstarch to my recipe (using 2# powdered sugar). HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%