Aarrrgghhhhh!!!

Business By MamaMia808 Updated 10 Feb 2011 , 2:52pm by cakesdivine

MamaMia808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaMia808 Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 1:55am
post #1 of 10

Just got an email asking if I can make a "simple" one layer Hello Kitty cake for this Saturday! My site says I'm booked this month and this email makes it sound like no biggie.

I now know what people mean when they say that they hate the word "simple" when paired with the word "cake."

icon_mad.gif

9 replies
idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 2:21am
post #2 of 10

Simple=cheap, inexpensive no doubt!

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 2:41am
post #3 of 10

yup, when they say simple, they mean cheap

jo3d33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo3d33 Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 2:51am
post #4 of 10

I got an email the other day that said, "Im looking for a wedding cake. I dont have a huge budget and dont really care that much about the cake" My first thought was RUN!!! lol!

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 3:16am
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jo3d33

I got an email the other day that said, "Im looking for a wedding cake. I dont have a huge budget and dont really care that much about the cake" My first thought was RUN!!! lol!

Yikes! icon_confused.gif

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 4:17am
post #6 of 10

I think some people like to insult in order to hopefully cause the price to come down. I've gotten the "its just cake" and "I don't care that much about the cake, I don't want to spend a lot of money" from people (especially brides) before, and I think my new reply is going to be "Yes, well I DO care about the cake! So what is your budget?"

I've been burned before when I agree to a "simple" cake for the same week. It is almost always a 2D, tiered, or 3D fondant request. So now I answer back- what do you MEAN by simple?

Customers have to be educated- sometimes being turned down is what helps them learn.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 4:29am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaMia808

My site says I'm booked this month

Here's a way out... update your site to include that you can't duplicate copyrighted images.

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 5:04am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaMia808

J My site says I'm booked this month

I would send a email referring them back to your site & let her know you're booked & can't do it...Not to mention that it's last minute. Some people act as if you are a cake fairy & can waive a magic wand & make a cake appear *SMH*

MamaMia808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaMia808 Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 5:27am
post #9 of 10

Good suggestions! I'll definitely do one or the other...after I decompress. icon_razz.gif

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 2:52pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jo3d33

I would have responded with "Then call Walmart". icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%