Help With Baking Two Flavor And Size Cakes???

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 9 Apr 2011 , 7:59pm by jessibella

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 1:27am
post #1 of 11

Hi Cakers!

Please help me out!

I have a 8" and 6" round cake due next week. They will be the standard 2" layers to make a 4" high cake. The recipe is a Sharon Zambito recipe. Box mix is one ingred. in the recipe. They want one layer to be Yellow and the other Choc. This is NOT a tierd cake. 1 year old B-day. 8" will be the main serving cake and the 6" will be a "smash" cake for the B-day boy.

Can I bake a 8" and a 6" together at the same time? I know that the 8" will bake longer than the 6". However, when I open the oven door to check the 6" and to take it out, I am afraid that the 8" cake might sink in the middle due to the temp. change and/or my moving the oven rack in and out to take 6" out.

Suggestions on how I can bake these two sized cakes and different flavors?

Thank you,
Michael

10 replies
FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 1:44am
post #2 of 11

Are you baking out of a home oven?

How many layers are you making? Is your finished cake going to be 4" or 2"?

Are you making scratch or boxed?

If you are only making 2" cakes, you should be able to stagger your oven racks, have one slightly below center, one above center, and have both pans in, one on each rack, alternating sides. Especially if you are making a boxed mix, there should be no problem opening your oven to pull the smaller cake out.

Good luck!

J

melissad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissad Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 1:44am
post #3 of 11

I have baked multiple sizes before with no problem as long as the sizes aren't spread enough that you need to change the oven temp (ex: 14" & 6"). 8" & 6" should be fine together, just don't leave the door open longer than needed when pulling out the 6" out.

If you are mixing up a full batch of white and chocolate though, you'll probably have to bake more cakes to use the rest of the batter, so it may be easier to do one kind at a time. (If you don't need them right away, just wrap up good and freeze for next time.)

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 2:06am
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

Are you baking out of a home oven?

How many layers are you making? Is your finished cake going to be 4" or 2"?

Are you making scratch or boxed?

If you are only making 2" cakes, you should be able to stagger your oven racks, have one slightly below center, one above center, and have both pans in, one on each rack, alternating sides. Especially if you are making a boxed mix, there should be no problem opening your oven to pull the smaller cake out.

Good luck!

Thank you! I have edited my post to answer your questions.

Michael

J

FEIwannabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FEIwannabe Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 2:07am
post #5 of 11

melissad-
You use different temps for diff sized cakes? I've never heard of that before, can you please explain why? How do you determine the temps?
thx

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 5:04am
post #6 of 11

Some people bake larger cakes (14" and up) at a lower temp so the entire cake bakes more even. Depends on your cake and if you use a heat core, nail method, bake even strips etc.

My home oven is kind of a workhorse, so I can stagger my oven racks like I suggested and put an 8" and 6" on one, and then alternate 6" and 8" on the other to make sure there is proper circulation. I'd leave it at 350, bake for 30 mins and rotate each pan. Make sure you use bake even strips.

I bake from all scratch, so I'd be a little worried about my white cake, but being honest, you are using a box mix as a starter, and those are 99% foolproof, even with doctoring. You should be a-OK!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 11:23am
post #7 of 11

goodness, I put 2 to 4 pans of batter in my home oven all the time! by the time the 6" pan is done, the 10" pan should be way past the potential-to-fall stage. I'm mostly a box mixer but my choclates are scratch Never had a problem.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 12:04pm
post #8 of 11

psshaw.

I jam as many pans into the oven as I can get in there. And I'm exclusively a scratch baker. Cakes are not so delicate that they fall when you open the door. Shoot if I've got both ovens going and all but one pan has finished in one oven and there's room to consolidate it into the other oven, I open both ovens and transfer that one last pan to the working oven so I can turn one off.

jessibella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessibella Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 1:39pm
post #9 of 11

i was asked to make a cake for engagement party for 150 guests, i was thinking of making a 12 in and a 9 in round tier for centerpiece and make 1/2 sheet cake for serving, how many cakes do you think i need to make?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 2:54pm
post #10 of 11

A two layer 12in and two layer 9in will give you 88 servings.

A two layer 11x15 gives you 74 servings.

A two layer 12x18 gives you 98.

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

jessibella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessibella Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 7:59pm
post #11 of 11

thanks for the serving info, i will be making a 3 tier square cake double layer and the bottom is 16 x 2 and the middle is 12x2 and the top is 8x2 how many people do you think this will serve ? I have to have enough for 150 people and also how much fondant do you think i need to cover all 3 layers?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%