Best Cake To Use

Decorating By pinklemonsart Updated 10 Feb 2011 , 3:02pm by sccandwbfan

pinklemonsart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklemonsart Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 12:35am
post #1 of 14

Hello,

I'm new o cake decorating and have to make a cake for a birthday this weekend. I will be making my first cake covered in fondant. The person I will be making the cake for loves vanilla. My question is...

what is the best cake recipe or type of cake to use? Are box cake mixes okay to use?

Any suggestions would be great.

13 replies
tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 12:39am
post #2 of 14

You use a scratch recipe or box or doctored box - whichever you do best. If you are being asked to make a cake, then they most likely have already tasted your cake and that's the one you make.

princess_09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princess_09 Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 12:42am
post #3 of 14

As long as your fondant isn't rolled too thick it should be fine. Pound cake is said to be a good cake to use with fondant, because it is so dense. Hope that helps!

ToniRod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ToniRod Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 12:46am
post #4 of 14

I got hooked on the WASC cake extender (recipe here on CC) and will never go back. Tastes awesome and makes cake sturdy enough for fondant.

TheBakingNurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheBakingNurse Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 12:48am
post #5 of 14

The *Original* WASC cake recipe is what I use. You can find it on this site...sorry Idk how to add a link or I would link it for you! It is dense enough to hold up to fondant but still moist and yummy!

TheBakingNurse Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 12:50am
post #6 of 14

The *Original* WASC cake recipe is what I use. You can find it on this site...sorry Idk how to add a link or I would link it for you! It is dense enough to hold up to fondant but still moist and yummy!

post #7 of 14

post #8 of 14

bellaudreycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellaudreycakes Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 12:53am
post #9 of 14

ok I have used the WASC recipe from on here and it taste too sugary to me, what would I be doing wrong? Or is that the way it taste?

bellaudreycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellaudreycakes Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 12:56am
post #10 of 14

ok I have used the WASC recipe from on here and it taste too sugary to me, what would I be doing wrong? Or is that the way it taste?

ToniRod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ToniRod Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 1:43am
post #11 of 14

Hmmm... I had actually thought it was a little less sugary than the average box mix, that is partially why I liked it so much... I guess really, each to his own.

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 1:50am
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschilt1

That's funny. People tell me they like it because it's not as sweet as most cakes.

Maybe it's the mix you are using? I have no clue hows to answer that.

TheBakingNurse Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 4:49am
post #13 of 14

I agree I think its less sweet than most cakes. Maybe you added too much sugar. I even sub out the sc for yogurt and I don't think it's very sweet.

sccandwbfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sccandwbfan Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 3:02pm
post #14 of 14

I've made the vanilla WASC several time now and it always turns out beautifully.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%