Washington State Cottage Food Law Senate Bill 5748

Decorating By FH_Cakes Updated 14 Feb 2011 , 10:54pm by FH_Cakes

FH_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FH_Cakes Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 11:02pm
post #1 of 5

I just checked the statues, the bill has been referred to the Committee of Agricultrual and Environmental Development...Let's get all the support we can....friends, family, neighbors.....Don't let this die!

4 replies
Larkin121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Larkin121 Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 11:16pm
post #2 of 5

I've heard nothing about this... is there a link to more info or other threads about it? I'm in WA, too.

Larkin121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Larkin121 Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 1:34am
post #4 of 5

Thanks. Wouldn't apply to anything I make since most of my cakes are perishable, but that's cool for those who use only shelf stable stuff. Also, the $5000 gross sales limit is pretty low, it's not even saying $5000 in profit. If you sell mostly wedding cakes, that only let's you do say 8-10 per year unless you don't charge very much.

I'd have liked to see a different approach - allowing separate home kitchens (in the garage, let's say) without needing commercial equipment and being permitted to do potentially hazardous foods. Wayyyy more doable to have a second kitchen when you don't have to have it all NSF.

Best of luck to those who this applies to!

FH_Cakes Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 10:54pm
post #5 of 5

I am happy to report the bill has passed Agricultural committee and is now onto the rules committee. Senator Rockefeller sits on this committee as do others that were on the ag committee. He is confident this will pass with no problem, now is the time to get our Senators Involved. There are 49, so far I have support from:

Senators: Becker, Chase, Delvin, Hatfield, Haugen, Honeyford, Rockefeller and Schesler.

Please PM me if you need additional info!

Find your local senator here:
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/DistrictFinder/Default.aspx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%