Fondant Covered Cake Board - 1St Time! Help Please!

Decorating By chefdot Updated 10 Feb 2011 , 6:45pm by chefdot

chefdot Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 9:56pm
post #1 of 6

I am making a quilted pattern out of fondant on the board and the board is one of those thick cardboard boards that are covered in the decorative foil? What would you use to adhere the fondant to the foil? I am looking to do it piece by piece since that might be the easiest and cleanest way.

Also, once I have the cake covered in fondant and ready to be added on the board, can I just add it directly on the fondant covered board or should it be on it's own board so the cake doesn't touch the fondant on the bottom? If that's the case do I just add frosting to make the bottom of the small cake board that the cake is sitting on to the fondant covered board to make it stay?

Sorry if I confused you. Thanks in advance for help.

5 replies
Sorelle Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 10:07pm
post #2 of 6

I use piping gel to adhere fondant to board. I've also heard of using corn syrup. I suppose it just needs to be edible and sticky. I think you should have the cake on its own board, it will be easier to move around. You can use piping gel to stick cake on to the fondant board too.
You don't need to use a lot of piping gel spread it around board very thin or you may have a mess on your hands hth

dsilvest Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 10:08pm
post #3 of 6

I just use a bit of water to apply a whole piece to the board so it should work for small pieces as well.

patticakes34 Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 11:30pm
post #4 of 6

I brush on a small amount of water as well and put my cake on it's on board-i use a dab of buttercream under the cake's board just so it doesn't slide.

Snowmum Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 11:44pm
post #5 of 6

Yep, i would just use piping gel or even buttercream if you are using any. Or gum-paste, yep anything sticky would work. .

chefdot Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 6:45pm
post #6 of 6

thanks guys. this helped icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%