Pricing Out Wasc For 150 Serving Is It Really This??!

Decorating By Sorelle Updated 10 Feb 2011 , 11:26pm by cgm_cakes

Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 9:46pm
post #1 of 10

I'm doing a wedding cake for 150 people (for a friend) she is paying for ingredients only. The cake will be...
wasc
vanilla custard filling (from scratch)
white fondant

So as I'm figuring this out I come up with,
$70.00 for wasc
$90.00 for "Elite" brand fondant and
$17.00 for custard

This sound like so much! Did I calculate wrong? I have to admit I've never really counted the cost before always just gave an what I thought was an "estimate"
Does this sound right?
Thanks

9 replies
hollys_hobby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollys_hobby Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 10:00pm
post #2 of 10

My WASC yields enough for 2 6" rounds and 2 10" rounds for $6.84 which is 40 wedding size servings. You would need roughly 3.75 batches of batter @ $6.84 each would be a total cost of $25.65 icon_biggrin.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 10:19pm
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollys_hobby

My WASC yields enough for 2 6" rounds and 2 10" rounds for $6.84 which is 40 wedding size servings. You would need roughly 3.75 batches of batter @ $6.84 each would be a total cost of $25.65 icon_biggrin.gif

this is pretty much what my costs are too!

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 10:31pm
post #4 of 10

A WASC (2 box mix batch) costs me $11 just in ingredients. Some of this is regional.

Also when I sat down and did the math, for me it's the frosting that is expensive. A double batch of frosting (4lbs of PS) is $20.

Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 10:49pm
post #5 of 10

Okay that sounds much better. I have never made the wasc and was thinking it would only serve 12 -15 people per batch.
Yikes! I didn't even add the butter cream! really $20.00 for a double batch?
I live in rural area and have to travel 120 miles round trip to buy groceries. Reminds me I have to travel that same distance to deliver the cake. geez. I hate figuring out all this crap, I just wanna bake and make pretty cakes.

travmand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
travmand Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 11:06pm
post #6 of 10

Yup...it's the buttercream that kills me. That high-ratio shortening and butter. $$$

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 11:12pm
post #7 of 10

Trackage, me too. I use the hi-ratio shortening as well but I did a cost comparison based on Indydebi's Crosby and dreamwhip buttercresm and it only saved me about $2 batch.

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 3:15pm
post #8 of 10

Make sure that you add in something for gas to the grocery store because that is a long drive!

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 3:53pm
post #9 of 10

That's one of the things I LOVE about WASC cake is that it doesnt cost me much to make it and it yields allot of servings!

cgm_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cgm_cakes Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 11:26pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorelle

I'm doing a wedding cake for 150 people (for a friend) she is paying for ingredients only. The cake will be...
wasc
vanilla custard filling (from scratch)
white fondant

So as I'm figuring this out I come up with,
$70.00 for wasc
$90.00 for "Elite" brand fondant and
$17.00 for custard

This sound like so much! Did I calculate wrong? I have to admit I've never really counted the cost before always just gave an what I thought was an "estimate"
Does this sound right?
Thanks

That's why a fairly average cost of $3 per serving would give this cake a cost of $450 . . . . and that would be very basically decorated. Don't forget to add the costs of cakeboards, boxes and supports in . . . it's really amazing how much the cost of materials is.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%