Damask Stencil

Decorating By jessiq Updated 10 Feb 2011 , 12:58am by cambo

jessiq Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 8:06pm
post #1 of 4

I am going to do damask stencil next weekend. I need a confidence boost that it will be okay. I am a nervous wreck! This is not something I'm getting paid for.. I just get nervous about hard stuff. I want to do it on BC. Should I use fondant? Also I plan on just getting a stencil at hobby lobby in the wall decor section due to $. Is that okay? Would you suggest using royal icing? any suggestions on making this stencil work is helpful.

3 replies
thallo Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 8:28pm
post #2 of 4

Stencils definitely work better on fondant. And they look better done with royal icing. The stencils at Hobby Lobby should be just fine. And the more pliable (flimsy) the better. If it is your first time, it would help to have someone hold it up to the cake for you. There are other ways, but that is the easiest - especially the first time. You can do it!!

jessiq Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 9:24pm
post #3 of 4

I guess I will use fondant. I just don't normal like it because of the taste. Thank you for the flimsy tip. I was thinking the harder the better. Thank you so much!

cambo Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 12:58am
post #4 of 4

If it's your first time using a stencil, I would definitely recommend doing it on fondant! I have tried both royal and buttercream to stencil the pattern on, and have used buttercream exclusively and it works brilliantly! But, there's absolutely nothing wrong with using royal! So, take your pick there!

I have a lot of experience using stencils, both the culinary and hobby lobby "wall" types....and I can tell you that culinary as MUCH easier to work with (in my experience)! There is a black/white damask stenciled cake in my photos (about 3rd row down) and that was done with with a wall stencil I purchased at Hobby Lobby, AND done with black buttercream on white buttercream! IT nearly killed me, but it turned out beautifully! But, again, I have extensive experience with buttercream-on-buttercream stenciling.

I say give it a test run and see what is more easily doable for you! If you decide you would like to try to stencil on top of buttercream, my best advice is to let the buttercream "crust" overnight, and use VERY light pressure when holding the stencil in place! I didn't have anyone to hold mine, and Lord knows my husbands heavy hands would have dented my buttercream badly! Oh, and of course, it's easier to stencil on squares since the sides are flat....but if you have rounds, the smaller they are the more difficult they will be to stencil onto! Again, that's just my experience!

GOOD LUCK! If you have any other questions, I'm more than happy to help! Just message me! I just completed another 5-tier damask stenciled cake and will post it after the bridal expo I'm taking it to has passed!

Quote by @%username% on %date%