Custom Stencil

Baking By Jeannem Updated 10 Feb 2011 , 3:57pm by Jeannem

Jeannem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannem Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 7:36pm
post #1 of 7

I have a bride wanting wedding cake cookies with their name and date on them--you've all seen the ones on the internet that are run through that special machine...very intricate and precise.
I do have an edible image printer, but IMHO that doesn't look the best when it's just on a portion of the cookie.
Does anyone have an idea on how to make a custom stencil that would be small enough?? Would a "cricut "make that type of stencil?? I know I couldn't cut it by hand....
tia for your help..

6 replies
ramie7224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramie7224 Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 7:41pm
post #2 of 7

Do they only want their name and date, or a specific design? If it's just the name and date I would pipe them with royal and not worry about a stencil.

annie84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annie84 Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 7:51pm
post #3 of 7

I'm pretty sure Designer Stencils makes custom stencils for cake use. I think you can order directly from them or from Global Sugar Art.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 8:03pm
post #4 of 7

If you have a cricut I would try that first with some acetate before you purchase a custom stencil from designer stencils. How much time do you have before they are due?

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 10:24pm
post #5 of 7

I've made custom ones and cut them out of acetate before. I just print up what i want in word and print it the correct size. Lay it under the acetate and use an exacto knife to cut it out, there isn't any guesswork on where i need to cut this way.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 10:36pm
post #6 of 7

Yes, you can make them with a cricut. I use Make The Cut software and it works great. This is the stencil material I use http://www.dickblick.com/products/grafix-clear-lay-plastic-film-pads/ I also use a deep cut blade and housing.

Jeannem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannem Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 3:57pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks everyone for your help. I know I can't pipe 350 cookies in a precise enough manner to make them look really nice, and no way ever could I cut a tiny stencil..so if the cricut will do the job, I guess I get to buy a new toy!! Thanks tiggy2 for the hints about which acetate and blades to use. I love this site!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%