Need Help!

Decorating By chphillips Updated 9 Feb 2011 , 8:04pm by ChRiStY_71

chphillips Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chphillips Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 7:35pm
post #1 of 5

Hi y'all!

I was asked to do a bridal shower cake for a friend. This being my first cake, I have an idea but need more opinions and/or ideas. Below is a copy of the design used on the invitation that she wants incorporated in her cake. Please help!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59309796@N02/5431792610/

4 replies
shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 7:43pm
post #2 of 5

To me, it looks like it would be done with piping. Make some icing in three or four different colors. You could make the vertical lines around the side of the cake and then go back and make the dots and "hourglasses." Or you could pipe the vertical lines and then put on the shapes with quins.

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 7:43pm
post #3 of 5

are you a piper? It looks like you could do those down the side of the cake either with piping or with an extruder, depending on your preference. This isn't a good example of exactly what I mean, but the first that comes to mind, and I can't find the examples I have seen before:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/decorada/5122951014/

chphillips Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chphillips Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 8:01pm
post #4 of 5

Yes, pipping is what came to my mind as well. The bride requested fondant, so I plan on covering in the pale pink, then pipping the pattern. The cake is going to be two tiered, so I am not sure how to switch up the bottom (or top) tier -- or if I should do the pattern flowing from the top to bottom tier, gradually dying. Any ideas on what to top it with? I was thinking either some color cordinated flowers, or a bow. Also, any idea for a border? I can't picture vertical pipped lines with a horizontal border around each tier. Maybe I am over thinking...?

ChRiStY_71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChRiStY_71 Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 8:04pm
post #5 of 5

I vote for piping! Should be a piece of cake! icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%