Freezer Or Refridgerator?

Baking By JeskaP Updated 14 Feb 2011 , 6:12pm by Dayti

JeskaP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JeskaP Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 6:51pm
post #1 of 8

Hey all! I'm helping a friend out with her cupcake wedding cake. I have to make 175 cupcakes, an 8 inch 4 layer fondant cake for them to cut and an 8 or 6 inch cake for her little boys birthday.

I plan on baking everything a week ahead. My question is, is it better to keep them in the fridge or the freezer? I've got those plastic disposable boxes that they sell cakes in at the grocery store that we're using to store/transport them in. I know those aren't airtight so I worry about freezer burn? But I read somewhere that storing in the freezer keeps them moist longer. Also, if I store the cakes in the fridge and take them out 1 day before to decorate will they be ok without refrigeration? Same with cupcakes...although I'm thinking of using an italian meringue buttercream (or would that melt after its taken out of the fridge?) to frost these with so these will probably have to be refrigerated.

I'm planning on doing white chocolate sour cream, chocolate, strawberry, and either mango or coconut flavored...depending on what recipe I find.

Thanks so very much for any help!!!!

7 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 6:53pm
post #2 of 8

The refrigerator dries out cakes. The only reason to put a cake in the refrigerator is if it has perishable filling in it. Otherwise, freezer or counter, never fridge.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 7:20pm
post #3 of 8

You can wrap the plastic containers well with something like Press and Seal and that should prevent freezer burn.

I always worries about putting cuppies in the fridge because cupcakes dry out pretty easily. I've always wonder how people who use the meringue buttercreams handle that or if it's even an issue. I don't think it melts, it's just perishable because of the eggs. It will get soft because of the butter.

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 7:29pm
post #4 of 8

freezer.. I wrap mine well in plastic wrap and in the freezer they go...

I agree about the fridge.. dries out cake and if you don't have a fridg just for cakes, it will absorb everything in your fridge and affect your flavor...

JeskaP Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 4:24pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks for the tips everyone! I think I'm going to bake on Wednesday and leave on counter until Saturday. I'll go ahead and make the frostings and just pipe it on Saturday morning so I don't have to put the cupcakes in the fridge or freezer! Frosting would take far too long to make on Saturday and decorate in time.

Is Italian Meringue Buttercream the best to frost cupcakes with? That's what I've been reading but wasn't sure. I've never made it. Going to try today. I'm going to do a swirl "rose" thingy I saw on a blog.

Thanks again everyone! I really appreciate it!!

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 5:32pm
post #6 of 8

You can definitely bake the cake on Weds, torte, fill and crumb coat Thursday, decorate on Friday, ready for delivery on Saturday.
BUT I would not bake the cupcakes on Weds and leave on the counter til Saturday, or you will be serving some unfresh cupcakes at the wedding, however well you cover them up. You can bake on Wednesday, FREEZE, then take out the freezer on Saturday morning, then decorate (you can decorate them while they are still frozen).

JeskaP Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 6:02pm
post #7 of 8

If I bake the cupcakes on Friday and leave them on the counter and then frost Saturday morning would that work?
I don't have airtight containers so I'm just really worried about a funky freezer taste. Maybe I will put them in the plastic containers and wrap with plastic wrap as suggested. If I frost with Italian meringue buttercream while they are still frozen, will it cause it to melt/slide off as they unfreeze?

Thanks so much!

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 6:12pm
post #8 of 8

If you put them in the plastic containers and wrap, you won't get a freezer taste on them.
I haven't worked with IMBC, but the frosting shouldn't melt as far as I know. If in doubt, just thaw them (they take less than an hour to fully thaw and come to room temp).
You could bake on Friday, sure. Just be sure to cover them up well until Saturday. I would suggest in any case doing a test, whether you freeze or just leave on the counter - cupcakes stored in plastic boxes can have a notorious tendency to lose their liners.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%