Opinions Please! Best Pre-Made Gum Paste And Fondant?

Decorating By montanaMom Updated 9 Feb 2011 , 6:55pm by sillywabbitz

montanaMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
montanaMom Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 6:45pm
post #1 of 2

I have read many, many different opinions on which gum paste is best to use. Mixing Wiltons and Bakels seems to be a popular one, since the fast drying of Wiltons offsets Bakels refusal to harden.
I have not had any luck making fondant, (the recipes I have tried have had unpredictable results). SO....I've decided to buy both pre-made, and although I have worked with fondant, I haven't used gum paste before and am excited to begin. Please post your opinions about the best of both, I would appreciate any information! Thanks! thumbs_up.gif

1 reply
sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 6:55pm
post #2 of 2

I like Satin Ice but I've read they've had some bad batches lately. I got Choco-pan on sale but it's pretty soft and works best if I mix it with Satin ice for some balance.

Wilton is great for figures and accents that people won't eat because it's cheap and easy to use.

My next cake I'll be trying FondX. They just started carrying it at my local cake supply.
I tried the duff fondant and I'm still struggling with it. Taste is fine but it's pretty soft so it's not good for figures but it's OK so far. I like it because I can get it at Michael's using a coupon so I'm sort of forcing myself to learn to like iticon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%