Making Flowers

Decorating By kristiemarie Updated 11 Feb 2011 , 12:21pm by Chellescakes

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 6:29pm
post #1 of 7

Ok, I'll admit it...I am awful at flowers. Terrible. I can't do it! How do you ladies do it? I can't even make whimsical ones that aren't suppose to look real...the only ones that turn out are the flat ones. :|

Any pointers? Tips? What medium do you use?

I wanted to do some flowers for the cake on Monday but I am running out of time...and patience!

6 replies
TheCakeLab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeLab Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 7:14pm
post #2 of 7

i'm not that great with flowers either but my best ones have been when i mixed gumpaste and fondant.
i'll also be following this thread i need help!

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 9:56pm
post #3 of 7

What kind of flowers do you need? What medium have you been using? Are you trying to make buttercream roses, gumpaste calla lilies, or royal icing drop flowers for example?

annie84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annie84 Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 10:18pm
post #4 of 7

If you are looking to make gum paste flowers, there are tons of tutorials in this link that will help you get started.
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-654803.html
Making gum paste flowers is probably one of my favourite 'cake' things to do. Making flowers out of icing is another story though... I definitely have not mastered that yet

kristiemarie Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 2:17am
post #5 of 7

Well,I was using fondant and gum tex so maybe that's my problem. LOL Maybe I need just straight gum paste.

kristiemarie Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 2:17am
post #6 of 7

Well,I was using fondant and gum tex so maybe that's my problem. LOL Maybe I need just straight gum paste.

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 12:21pm
post #7 of 7

I make my own flowerpaste , I have tried commercial ones but none are as good as what I make myself.
I make a double or triple batch in my mixer then divide it up and keep it in the freezer until I need it. I have substituted , petal base , solidified cooking oil as well for the copha. and like I said I make a large batch in the mixer.
This is Helen Dissell's recipe
Flowerpaste Recipe »
Ingredients:
- 1 egg white
- Pure icing sugar
- Copha
- Tylose powder

Method:
1. Mix egg white and sufficient icing sugar to form a stiff peak royal icing.
2. Add 2 rounded teaspoons of Tylose powder and mix through well.
3. Wash hands and put 1 rounded teaspoon of Copha into your hands and work paste thoroughly for at least five minutes.
4. It may be a good idea to mix two individual golf size balls separately to facilitate easier blending.
5. Wrap in cling wrap and store in an airtight container.
6. It does not need to be kept in the fridge.
Helens Sugar Art Tip...Please note that this paste will not work if it is not worked in the making process. It will have no stretch if you do not work it well. If you do, you will be able to roll it out paper thin / tissue thin.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%