What Is Your Best Tip For Placing Fondant Ribbons On Bc?

Decorating By mareg Updated 9 Feb 2011 , 11:23pm by zespri

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 5:54pm
post #1 of 6

I'm making a wedding cake white BC with Black narrow fondant ribbons all over like a geometrical design. Any tips so the black won't mess up the BC?

5 replies
zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 6:25pm
post #2 of 6

I wanted to do something like that for my friends wedding, but the more research I did, the more I was put off it. If you search for other peoples cakes in a similar design to the one you want to do, you'll find the really good ones are usually done with real ribbon, apparently it's extremely difficult to do it well with fondant.

I'm going to watch this topic though, as I also think they look amazing but don't really want to use real ribbon, maybe someone will have some good experience to share other than my doom and gloom! icon_wink.gif

mareg Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 8:00pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks. I'm doing the wedding cake this week. I can use any tips. Lol

zespri Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 8:09pm
post #4 of 6

I had just woken up when I posted that. I should also tell you my GOOD tips, lol!

Cut your ribbons with a ribbon cutter (obviously). Then tidy up the edges with a toothpick while it's still on the counter top, it's really easy to stretch (and distort) ribbons. Dust the top lightly with icing sugar or cornflour, then carefully roll it up. Pop it in the fridge for a couple of minutes to harden it up before rolling it out onto your cake.

You'll need a little bit of water to make it stick obviously, but the less the better as if it's too wet it will slide down the cake. I put loads of sewing pins all over the cake and rested the ribbon on them. So the pins held the ribbon in place until it dried.

When you get to the end, overlap the beginning of the ribbon, then use a knife to carefully cut through both layers, and remove the cut-offs. You should have a tidy join. Wet your finger a little bit, then rub the join side to side as gently as you can. (if you rub up and down you might stretch it in that spot). The aim is for the water on your finger to kind of melt the fondant to make a seamless appearance.

mareg Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 11:20pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks zspri. Don't the pins leave marks? How thin do you roll out the fondant?

zespri Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 11:23pm
post #6 of 6

pin pricks are the secret to preventing blowouts icon_smile.gif If the air can escape, then it can't form a bubble. They are such tiny marks, nobody would see them. However if you are worried, when you have removed them put a tiny drop of water on your finger and rub over them, they'll disappear almost immediately. How thin you roll out the fondant depends on your fondant really, you'd have to experiment. If it's hard to work with, try adding some tylose.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%