Wedding Cake Quantity Question

Decorating By pammylynn Updated 9 Feb 2011 , 10:16pm by leily

pammylynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pammylynn Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 5:38pm
post #1 of 9

My daughter is getting married Saturday. I have all my cakes in the freezer waiting to go with one exception - sheet cake for more servings.

At the most we'll have 210 there, but we all know not everyone shows up.

Wedding cake is 3 tiers, top layer to be saved. 2nd and 3rd layers are 12 inch and 10 inch pans, 4 layers each.

Grooms cake is a 12 and 8 inch, double layers each.

Should I have one or two half sheet cakes to make sure there's enough? Should I double or single layer them?

I've not much experience and don't want to have tons left over, but want to have enough, too. Not to mention it's just me doing this.....only two hands to get it all done.

Thanks for any input.
Pam

8 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 6:00pm
post #2 of 9

10/12 serves 38/56 = 94.
8/12 serves 24/56 = 80

total: 174

When you say the 10/12 is 4 layers, is that four 2" layers or is it two 2" layers that are torted? That will make a difference.

Based on the above numbers, a 2-layer 9x13 will serve about 50 people (1x2x4") which gets you to 224 servings.

sistercarey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sistercarey Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 6:01pm
post #3 of 9

One sheet cake with one layer is enough.Sound like you have too much cake.(Beside it's only you doing the work)

cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 6:02pm
post #4 of 9

Here is a site that explains the serving sizes

http://www.earlenescakes.com/ckserchart.htm

I don't think you need anymore cake than you already have but that is your decision. Look at the chart and decide.

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 6:02pm
post #5 of 9

If by 4 layers, you mean 2 2in high cakes torted for 4 layers of cake & 3 layers of filling (~4in high tiers) The wedding cake will serve about 97 on its own

The 2 layer groom's cake tiers will serve about 40 for a total of 134.

Rule of thumb is cake servings for 70% of the YES RSVPs. If you don't have a solid number for that, err on the side of more cake.

You can probably get by with a single kitchen cake for extra servings. If you are doing the same flavor as the wedding cake, make it 4 layers. If you are making it the same flavor as the grooms cake, make it 2.

You don't want guests to think they got the cheapo warehouse store sheet cake when everyone else got the special cake. The extra servings should look/taste the same as the main cakes.

HTH
Kristy

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 6:16pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ62798

Rule of thumb is cake servings for 70% of the YES RSVPs. If you don't have a solid number for that, err on the side of more cake.

I've preached for years using 60% of the Total Number INVITED. (300 invited x 60% = 175-180 expected show up's).

The number of RSVP's "received" is too variable (do you have a family that actually returns them or not?) but the number invited is a fixed number that you can depend on to calculate against.

pammylynn Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 6:45pm
post #7 of 9

Okay....
They are 2" layers torted to make four...

We only received 50% or less of the rsvp's by mail. It's a dying concept I think. We ended up doing lots of verbals. I know that in the future if I get an RSVP card I will acknowledge it, out of courtesy to the planner. Not that I've made a habit of not, I just had few invites over the years.

Sounds like maybe one extra 1/2 sheet would be enough. Just to be sure i have enough. The cakes are all the same. I will be sure to decorate the sheet cake similar to the others in color etc. that's a good idea. I'd rather have some extra that can be shared with family than guests not getting any. Not to mention my daughter has warned my that her fiancée family are eaters and somewhat greedy about it. She's already warned me her future mother in law wanted to know if there was going to be leftovers. Geesh...how greedy is that? She's not paying for it.

Thanks so much for the advice everyone! I sincerely appreciate it.
Pam

pammylynn Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 7:30pm
post #8 of 9

I meant she wanted to know if there was going to be FOOD leftovers.....

Thanks again!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 10:16pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by pammylynn

Sounds like maybe one extra 1/2 sheet would be enough. Just to be sure i have enough. The cakes are all the same. I will be sure to decorate the sheet cake similar to the others in color etc. that's a good idea.

I wouldn't make a sheet cake (2" tall) i would make sure to make a kitchen cake (4" tall with the same amount of layers as the wedding or grooms cake) This way if you do cut into the extra cake all of the cakes will look similiar on the plates and everyone gets the filling too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%