Quilt Pattern Press

Decorating By cowie Updated 10 Feb 2011 , 2:34am by cowie

cowie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowie Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 5:30pm
post #1 of 4

I bought a quilt pattern press and tried it on a cake. I had some major issues. I found it very hard to match the pattern exactly and to keep it going without doubling up on the pattern lines, also what do you do at the end? It doesn't match up and looks silly. Any ideas or tricks?

Thanks

3 replies
sccandwbfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sccandwbfan Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 5:58pm
post #2 of 4

I've used one of those on white fondant and the only trouble that i had was that at the back of the cake it's not matching up. I followed the directions of someone I either saw post on here or was on a cake show and didn't push too hard to get the edge of the pattern show up. Is your impression mat clear or colored?

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 6:46pm
post #3 of 4

There are two different ways to do this. The impression mat which is pretty much hopeless in getting things to line up in the back but that is totally expected. I just did a Christening cake with that pattern and the back section I just press a little lighter. I did it in buttercream and it was pretty easy to line things up as I went around..just that very back piece was off. What I would use for fondant is what Jennifer Dontz uses in her Fondant Frills video...which are called diamond quilters...she has two different kinds on her website.
http://www.jenniferdontz.com/estore.php?category=tools/edibles

This will let you "adjust" a little bit better as you go around so that you don't have that goofy double line problem. Her video "Fun with Fondant Frills" shows how it works, and I really want one.

cowie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowie Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 2:34am
post #4 of 4

sillywabbitz - I went to that site and that is almost the same as what I have. Mine is two deep instead of two wide if that makes sense? I guess I might just need some more practise to get the lines to all match up.
Thanks for the tip on the back of the cake, I will try that next time!
sccandwbfan - I don't have the impression matt, mine is more of a stamp that you can push into the icing/fondant with a little handle.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%