How Many Servings For A Groom's Cake

Decorating By ramie7224 Updated 9 Feb 2011 , 10:00pm by tryingcake

ramie7224 Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 2:39pm
post #1 of 6

Obviously you want enough wedding cake for each guest at the reception, but how do you determine the number of servings needed for the groom's cake? Do I still need a serving for each guest? Half? I'm totally clueless. I'm giving one to friends as a wedding gift and the guest list is just over 100.

5 replies
KASCARLETT Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 2:53pm
post #2 of 6

Really, it's personal preference, but you definately don't want the wedding cake overshadowed! I think most people will want the wedding cake, but (and especially if it is chocolate), they may get a little of both.

indydebi Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 2:55pm
post #3 of 6

Even tho' its a gift, how many servings does the bride want? I've done groom's cakes for as small as 15 and as large as 50. Each time, the bride told me how many servings for each cake. Usually the groom's cake was in addition to the wedding cake.

I would highly recommend that you don't need a grooms' cake to serve 100 in addition to a wedding cake that serves 100.

ramie7224 Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 7:29pm
post #4 of 6

The bride's only request was chocolate with raspberry filling. I asked how many servings and they just said "Oh, whatever you think is best." Maybe since it's a gift and I'm a hobby baker, they don't want to impose? Either way, no def. answer on that end. I was thinking maybe 50 since the wedding cake is a traditional vanilla/vanilla combo and people may want the chocolate. It's ok, though if they run out since they are sure to have plenty of wedding cake, right?

KASCARLETT Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 8:23pm
post #5 of 6

That sounds good! I love that flavor combo!

tryingcake Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 10:00pm
post #6 of 6

My rule of thumb is 25% of the servings are groom's cake and 75% is the standard wedding cake. Of course, the customer may choose differently, but that's my rule of thumb when asked. That's what most of my customer's go with.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%